Return to Index  

AMEGB 1/48 Canberra PR.9 - Wings and Things

June 10 2012 at 4:55 PM
Bill Suggs  (Login suggswh)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 46.16.32.252

Although I've committed the cardinal sin of letting life get in the way of my model building, I have been making incremental progress on the big Canberra. I've shot a base coat of almost-black (Revell Anthracite) on the interior parts, put a base coat of white on the flaps and flap wells, painted and weathered the wheel wells, and assembled the main wing components.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

Fit of the major parts is surprisingly good - the fuselage halves went together like a snap-together kit when test fitted - and Airfix has done a good job of hiding ejector pin marks. I've only had to remove two so far. They were located on the inside surface of the inboard flap wells and were easily scraped flush and sanded smooth.

Once the gear wells were painted, I weathered them with some dark gray pastel chalk. This was ground up and applied along the structural details inside the wells with a Microbrush to simulate accumulated grime. The wells were then attached to the lower wing halves with liquid cement, followed by a bead of superglue applied around the outside of the joint. I don't want to risk a gear well popping loose under the weight of the finished model.

The wings were then assembled using liquid cement. I was caerful not to apply any cement to the wing halves where the leading edge of the ailerons fit into the wing. The ailerons themselves are a bit thick, and the resulting flexibility allows them to be pressed snugly into the wing, improving the fit considerably. Even so, the aileron leading edges stand slightly proud of the lower surface of the wing and will need some attention later (as will the vortex generators, which look like 1/48 scale bars of soap).

I corrected one noticeable error on the kit - the trailing edges of the inboard flaps incorporate a narrow (approximately 1 mm wide) strip of the upper wing training edge. This was removed from the upper surface of the wing by carefully scribing through the part, and then attached to the trailing edge of each inboard flap section. However, there's still a slight curve to the trailing edge that shouldn't be there, so I think I'll have to rework things just a bit more ...

The PR.9 has a couple of intakes - one oblong, one round - just below the centerline of the inboard leading edge of each wing. In fairness to Airfix, I can't imagine how these inlets could be accurately molded given their small size and the extreme curvature of the leading edge. Using the TLAR method (That Looks About Right), I carefully eyeballed photos of the inlets, then marked their positions in pencil. The round inlets were simply drilled into the leading edge - use the tip of an X-acto blade to make a starter hole for the drill bit so it doesn't slide along the curvature of the leading edge. The basic shape of each oblong inlet was carefully chain drilled, then cleaned up with the tip of a new #11 blade. The resulting slot is too small to work with a file, so ragged edges were fixed with a little bit of superglue and sanding, then the openings were coated with liquid cement applied with a fine brush to remove dross and burrs. Finally, Mr. Surfacer was applied to the inlet openings - surface tension will cause the primer to "round out" the ends of the inlet - and gently sanded back when dry. I'm pretty pleased with the result.

While all this was going on, I received the replacement CMK resin Martin Baker Mk.3 seat, so next time I'll post some in-progress shots of the cockpit.

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters