Return to Index  

Smoke on!

June 24 2012 at 2:03 PM

(Premier Login dstramac)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 83.160.97.244

Hi all,
This is my new build, this time of a modern jet, the Airfix BAe Hawk scale 1/48. I always liked aerobatic team because they represent to me some essential aspects of flight: dedication and technique to the highest degree, beauty and daring. In addition, the usually spotless finish of their airplanes represents for me a modelling challenge.

The pictures below refer to a model of a FIAT G 91 that I built in my previous life as a modeler, probably more that 30 years ago with the livery of the Italian National Team, the Frecce Tricolori. The kit was at that time a newly issued ESCI 1/48, with raised lines and was all rigorously painted by brush.

[linked image]
[linked image]

Although I like most building old planes, I recently started the Airfix kit of the Hawk attracted by the livery of the Red Arrows and by the captivating lines of this airplane. The model is overall quite OK, but it has few shortcomings. The shape of the air intakes is not well represented, the cockpit interiors are not useable and wheel wells that are strangely not deep enough. There are also other minor issues like the shape of the dorsal part and the exhaust area that need some improvements. I decided to ignore the wheel wells issue to keep the duration of the build within reasonable limits.

I replaced the air intakes with resin parts by Two Mikes. These parts are very nicely shaped with thin lips and once installed they change subtly, but essentially the aspect of the airplane giving to it more realistic lines.

[linked image]

I reshaped the nose and removed the moulded-in pitot tube and added a new smaller one once the sanding on the nose was concluded.

[linked image]

I also tried to improve the lines of the dorsal part and opened all the air intakes and exhausts. I also removed the two grilles that had a fantasy design and plugged in their place two photo etched more realistic grilles previously glued on rectangular plugs.

[linked image]

Instead of the kit bang seats, I bought resin ones and refurnished the cockpit. I will keep the canopy closed, so I did not spent too much effort in detailing the inside.

[linked image]

I tried also to improve the tailpipe area and prepare it for the addition of the three small pipes that discharge the coloured fumes in the gases of the jet.

[linked image]

Now I will be busy for a while with the smoothing of the seams and the surface preparation.

This is all for the moment, as usual comments and critiques are welcome.
Greetings from Holland,
Daniele

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters