Return to Index  

All for Naught, pt. 1

July 1 2012 at 9:31 AM

(Login StuartMilliken)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 209.237.253.45

'Naught' as in 'Zero', that is. I decided to start in on the nice new Zero Greg sent me. (Sorry, Graham, I'll get to the Curtiss soon, but I find myself in a Japanese mood just now.) And just let me say: this is a nice kit. Panel lines are reasonable, well-detailed cockpit, beautiful engine, thin clear canopy--pinch me, I must be dreaming!

I spent a lovely Sunday afternoon basically just washing everything in detergent, clipping the parts off the sprues and cleaning up the attachment points. A pleasure to do with such nicely molded parts. Here's the bunch:

[linked image]

I'm doing this one pretty much out of box, but am making minor improvements such as drilling out the seat holes (which come as mere dimples):

[linked image]

I'll also make some basic seat belts.

There have only been a few minor problems. It turns out one of the prop blades got bent in shipping and the delicate control stick was broken, but I was able to unbend the blade and glue the stick pieces back together (thanks to Tamiya Extra Thin Cement). So that was a happy outcome. More unfortunate is that the canopy has some black flecks of something molded in the plastic:

[linked image]

Never had that problem before; I'm simply going to ignore it. Probably just some Wasabi or something that the pilot got on the windshield.

Not much to see so far, but I think this one should go fast--no fussing with rivets, no correcting shapes, no scratch building, just paint, glue and decal--Yippee!

Stuart

Respond to this message   
Responses

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters