October 18 2011 at 6:27 PM

William De Coster  (Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 195.144.82.4

Greetings all

I'm getting a bit behind with my slow Hawks

Last time we had painted the Airfix (left) and Trumpeter (right) interior

H81A021.JPG

Yes... it was my dopey choice to build the new Airfix Hawk together with the Trumpeter and an AML kit - especially the last one is a first rate attention whore

It took me several evenings to get the interior together - of which not that much can be seen

H81A046.JPG

Meanwhile I continued on the interior of the Airfix and (at the right) Trumpeter kit

The progress of one evening, starting with a wash

H81A050.JPG

As Vic already remarked - the Airfix kit has a very nice decal for the instrument panel

It went on beautifully - no screaming and shouting involved here

H81A051.JPG

All 3 interiors almost finished

AML (with PE seatbelts) - Airfix - Trumpeter (last 2 with tape seatbelts)

H81A052.JPG

How well does the Airfix fuselage fit together ?

VERY GOOD !

H81A054.JPG

The top front end panel dropped in place without any issues

But I should have taken more care of cleaning up the sprue gate attachment points

H81A055.JPG

Same on the other side

If I can give one word of advice : do a better job then this big ape (me) when cleaning up this part

H81A056.JPG

What about the Chinese kit ?

Trumpeter wants you to trap the tail wheel between the fuselage halves before joining them together

H81A057.JPG

One of the biggest booboo's of the Trumpeter kit :

The interior sits TOO high

H81A058.JPG

While we didn't need them on the Airfix kit, we needed some pegs assistance for the Trumpy kit

H81A059.JPG

I have to say, the sprue gate points were easier to clean up on the front end top part of the Trumpeter kit - but that's probably just my fault

H81A060.JPG

There is some filler needed on the back of the interior of the Airfix kit

H81A061.JPG

All 3 fuselages now ready for more adventures with Tamiya glue

H81A047.JPG

I'm still happy with the Airfix kit - though I find the Trumpeter kit also enjoyable

Shapewise there is not much difference between them, fitwise also not...

The AML kit so far needed MORE (much more!) work then the other two together - and shapewise has a slightly shorter canopy opening (see my first post for comparisons)

Wondering what can go wrong with the wings now...

Thank you for the interest Airfix critters, take care blessed creatures

William De Coster / Belgium be.png / past builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2)
1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II new.gif
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Greg in OK
(Login Greg7AC)
HyperScale Forums

Sorry I didn't warn you about that cowl top! Soft Plastic Warning!!!

October 18 2011, 6:36 PM 

I was going to post last night but didn't make it. My comment of the Airfix P-40 is that the plastic is very soft. Testors F4U type soft,

Now soft plastic has advantages (in reshaping and sanding) and disadvantages (in clipping off parts, especally small parts. I have the SAME marks in my cowl top and I broke the joystick just in handleing it!

So, it doesn't make me not like the kit and hard plastic can be a bigger pain, but heads up, the P-40 is made from SOFT plastic.

Greg in OK

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

Indeed soft plastic

October 19 2011, 5:37 PM 

Next time I will be more carefull clipping off the parts from the tree

I tried to cover the damage with a little bit of filler - but not much luck, currently the models are in a primer, and I "think" it'll be alright

Hope to see a progress report on yours soon Greg

1/72 - Airfix - Spitfre PR.XIX : Part I (incl Flying Legends 2011 show report) - Part II - Part III - Part IV (incl. Pilsenkit 2011 show report pt.1/2)

Respond to this message   
Hal Marshman Sr
(Login P47Hal)
HyperScale Forums

If I might be so bold as to suggest...

October 18 2011, 7:14 PM 

That area under glass behind the cockpit is not an interior area, and wants to be painted matching the exterior color. On AVG Hawks, the camo separation line goes right down the middle of that area, and is clearly visible in photos of those birds. On some Brit field repaints, that area remained the factory original OD. Discounting the sky's reflection, you can clearly make out the OD in this pic. Nice comparison of the different kits. I'm normally a 1/48th builder, but the new Airfix kit attracts me. Hal Sr

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

This message has been edited by P47Hal from IP address 24.34.31.123 on Oct 18, 2011 7:19 PM

Respond to this message   

David O.
(Login DOchoaG)
HyperScale Forums

thanks for the additional info Hal. n/t

October 19 2011, 10:21 AM 

/

Respond to this message   
Hall, Tom
(Login el-rancho-decomposo)
HyperScale Forums

"I demand uniformity in flight gear!" Oh, never mind...

October 19 2011, 11:29 AM 

Great photo, and great comments about building the little P-40's. I LOVE the Airfix Group Build!

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

That's a golden tip Hal

October 19 2011, 5:41 PM 

And it is appreciated very much, unfortunatly it's a little late (just a few hours), I already glued the canopy parts on - but I will remember this for my next one

I also note the very subtle panel lines on the front end, wish I could replicate that in an easy way (I'm still recovering of filling and sanding them all on my PR.XIX Spitfire)

Thanks for the pic

Respond to this message   
Hal Marshman Sr
(Login P47Hal)
HyperScale Forums

You are Most welcome, William

October 19 2011, 8:10 PM 

I'm sorry it didn't reach you in time. You do nice work. For your further interest, the same applies to P-47s and Birdcage (F4U-1) Corsairs. Further, P-47 Bubbletop planes are OD on the back decking under the canopy.Hal Sr

Respond to this message   
Malcolm McKay
(Login MalcolmMcKay)
HyperScale Forums

Nice in build pics, those are very useful, n/t

October 18 2011, 7:40 PM 

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

And I forgot a lot.... ah well, next time - thanks Malcolm n/t

October 19 2011, 5:44 PM 

Respond to this message   

Claus Dam
(Login ManusNigra)
HyperScale Forums

Nice progress, William

October 19 2011, 6:59 PM 

Interesting pic the one with the three cockpits side by side. Not immediately obvious that they are supposed to be from the same plane!

I may have missed it (haven't been very active lately) but how do you plan to finish these? Not all AVG, I assume?

Have started on my Hawk 81 but with nothing to report that hasn't already been mentioned, I'll just wait with a post till I have something new to contribute.

Don't think any one kit ever got this much attention in this forum before. But well deserved - it really is a little gem.

Great work on all three, William. Looking forward to your next WIP report.

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

I think there is a new theme running here

October 20 2011, 4:06 PM 

The New Hawk GB happy.gif

No final choices made yet about the schemes - but initially I thought about one US Army, one AVG and one desert RAF, all with shark mouts... but some members of this threesome party aren't very cooperative and I'm looking now for some "boring" schemes to punish them

Hope to see posts of your Jag and P-40 progress soon Claus

Respond to this message   
KeithR
(Login keefr22)
HyperScale Forums

I just finished my Airfix....

October 20 2011, 2:10 PM 

...Hawk this afternoon,& the absolute worst part of the build for me were the wheels! I'd fixed the u/c legs in place before spraying as I normally do & when I then tried to stick on the wheels with their nicely moulded flats using Airfix's 'good idea' lug to ensure they are in the right position, the tolerances were so tight that the paint on the lugs, & that on the fixing hole in the wheels (from painting the back of the hub), meant that they just wouldn't fit. And of course the legs are pretty much to scale & were wobbling dramatically as I tried to scrape the paint off!! I really thought I was going to break them, but finally got the wheels on. Then came the separate hubs - I'd also painted these, & when painting the tyres some paint had also got on the inside of those. So, forearmed I scraped all the paint off all the mating surfaces & then dropped the hubs in. Oh no I didn't! I had to take a scalpel & coarse sanding stick to both the sides of the hubs & the back as they were too deep, & scrape a lot more material off the inside of the wheels before once again I had to force them into place on the wobbly legs!!

Just a heads up, hopefully it was just me!!

Keith

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

Aha - good point Keith

October 20 2011, 4:14 PM 

I hadn't thought about this yet - and I'm now wondering to put the "thinned down" (as per your experience) wheel hubs on while it's all still unpainted... but I'm not there yet, still a long way to go (the AML kit slows me down very much)

The u/c looks indeed pretty much to scale - and fragile - just like the wing guns, so far I have'n knocked them off yet, though I bended one slightly... that's how it usually starts

Thanks for the tips - I will use them !

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters