<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

1/72 Harrier GR3 in a Winter Coat - Part 3...Paint on!

November 23 2011 at 8:01 PM

Dermot  (Login DermotMo)
HyperScale Forums
from IP address 109.76.235.122

Hey everyone,

As our winter begins to turn cold, thought I would give a quick update on the Airfix Harrier that I'm building when the P-38 gets the better of me (more on that one soon!)

Glued the enging intakes on each side, having drilled out the top 4 doors (as they hang open with gravity) and filled the others. Also some filler on the top of the fuselage and on the wing roots (still trying to master that skill)

[linked image]

A quick shot of Halfords Grey automotive plastic primer - I love this stuff; it dries quick and the finish is really nice (even if my build isn't)

[linked image]

Then some dark green camo - this got overpainted with white for the Artic deployment which tended to wear off so not too worried about the finish at this stage

[linked image]

Thought I would give "salt weathering" a go on this one. Read up on it and watched some online videos and seemed straightforward enough. That's just table salt sprinkled on some areas pre-brushed with water.

[linked image]

Then a rattle can top coat of white. After trying the Humbrol Matt White previously on the War at Night Mosquito build (which was a disaster), I asked some guys in the club and a couple recommend Halfords plastic primer in White. I know, I know, it's primer and not meant to be the final coat but it went on waay better than the Humbrol and it's going to be grungy anyway...

[linked image]

I must have missed a step on this weathering as trying to get the salt off was an absolute pain in the jump jets. It probably didn't help that i didn't have a stiff enough brush to remove it. Lesson learned for sure and I guess it turned out ok.

And finally the other camo colour of Dark Grey (Airfix instructions said Medium but that looked too light). This one is Gunship Grey from the Revell Aqua Colour range

[linked image]

Final step will be paint touch-ups, Future, decals, weathering and weapons.

Thanks as always, for reading and enjoy your modelling!

Best wishes,

Dermot

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jim Watts
(Login jagewa)
HyperScale Forums

Looking great Dermot.. fun stuff n/t

November 24 2011, 12:45 AM 

Respond to this message   
James Ebert ''Randy''
(Login geoffrye35)
HyperScale Forums

Kosher, sea or basic table salt? I like the look. Going nicely

November 24 2011, 1:02 AM 

Respond to this message   
Anonymous
(Login steve839)
HyperScale Forums

Looks good but

November 24 2011, 8:04 AM 

Why have you painted it twice?

The White ARTF white was just painted over the green, the base grey remained the same!

Still looks nice though.

Selwyn

Respond to this message   
Victor Scheuerman
(Login ffirefighter13)
HyperScale Forums

Nice Dermot

November 24 2011, 6:57 PM 

I have always liked that scheme.

Cheers, Vic

Respond to this message   
Allan Buttrick
(Login Allan31)
HyperScale Forums

Nice stuff Derm...............

November 25 2011, 8:07 PM 

Interesting scheme for that one, well done

Thanks,
Allan

Youth, talent, hard work, and enthusiasm are no match for old age and treachery.

Multiple Mosquito Build, 1/72: Intro Part 1 Part 1.5 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Fini

Fathers Day A6M2: Intro Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Finish

Airfix Stuka 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Finish

Airfix Hurricane 1/72: Part 1 Part 2 Part 3 Part 4 Part 5 Part 6 Part 7 Part 8 Finish

Airfix Orion III: Build Tutorial Finish

Respond to this message   

William De Coster
(Login eazyprinz)
HyperScale Forums

Good trick Dermot

November 29 2011, 6:08 PM 

If I ever get round to building a Harrier, I would love to do one in such a winter scheme too

Great work !

William De Coster / Belgium be.png / previous builds on HS : Plastic Stories

1/72 - Airfix, Trumpeter and AML - Curtiss Hawk 81 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V - Part VI - Part VII new.gif
1/72 - Frog/Novo - Curtiss Tomahawk : Part I - Part II - Part III/End
1/72 - AGA - Polikarpov I-3 : Part I - Part II - Part III - Part IV - Part V

Just like the perfect woman doesn't exist, I will never build a perfect model.
Puts me on a par with God

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

HyperScale's Group Build Guidelines

The objective of this Group Build is to encourage as many modellers as possible to build their kits and share their progress via words and photos on this Forum.

You are welcome to post general construction tips or relevant reference information and photos to this Forum too.

This Group Build will feature Airfix, Frog and Matchbox kits.

1. Build as many kits as you like

2. Conversions, aftermarket and scratchbuilding are all permitted.

3. Any markings are acceptable.

4. Document your progress and do a write-up on your build - where did you have trouble, what improvements did you make, what markings did you choose and why? It would be GREAT if everyone would do a writeup and submit it to HyperScale as a Feature Article.

Posting or replying to messages on The Group Build Forum requires visitors to register. If you have not already registered on one of HyperScale's other Forums, you will need to:

1. First register with Network 54, the Forum provider.Click here to register with Network 54.

2. Then, you can sign up for HyperScale's forums. Click here to sign up for HyperScale's forums.

Your user name and password will give you full posting privileges to all of HyperScale Forums.

free counters