Postwar Baseball Cards Net Forum (Pre-1980)
Hello to all visitors! This is a moderated forum for the discussion of primarily vintage baseball cards that were issued after World War II and prior to 1980. If you are posting for the first time, please read our list of Forum Rules on our "Rules" page before proceeding. The forum will be moderated mainly to keep its focus. You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Steve F
(Login fdnyladder7)

Re: Let's see some Mickey Mantle cards!!

January 30 2009, 2:33 PM 

That '64., Appears alcohol or acetone contacted the L side upper half. The colors are washed out within the photo as well. Some kid was a little sloppy.

PC
(Login PC-T206)

January 30 2009, 5:17 PM 

Steve -- I considered the same thing before I bought it. But I don't think anything got spilled on it for three reasons: (1) the '64s have red/orange backs, and there is no color loss on the back, (2) there is no difference in the white border/background in that area from the rest of the card (you'd expect it to see a brighter, or darker, section showing the "stain" or "bleach spot" compared to the other white sections) and (3) the yellow is exactly the same as the yellow in the name (and it would be too coincidental for the red to fade to the exact same yellow).

More likely it is as Dave suggested ... the last color pass after yellow simply didn't reach that area.

Steve F
(Login fdnyladder7)

January 30 2009, 9:56 PM 

If you're right, that's a cool error. It's shaped like a stain from here.

I'd bought a raw card, a 49 leaf that had similar staining when the collector tried to remove writing from the border (blue ink). Over saturation with acetone removed the the blue alright but also wicked into the red ink causing a similar effect.
I also have another somewhere, where a small spot of the red pass 'washed off' yet the yellow pass beneath remained. Like yours though, the front lithos were stained and the back inks appeared unharmed. Good luck

This message has been edited by fdnyladder7 on Jan 31, 2009 11:29 AM

Felicia
(Login IJustLoveCards)

My recent pickup

March 13 2009, 7:15 PM 

[linked image]

David McDonald
(Login DavidMcDonald)

March 13 2009, 9:13 PM 

Mine eyes have seen the glory!

Robert
(Login Karb)

March 13 2009, 9:28 PM 

[linked image]

This message has been edited by Karb on Mar 13, 2009 9:45 PM

Doug
(Login bearcat-doug)

March 14 2009, 10:50 PM 

That's some '52 Mantle! It makes mine look trashed!! happy.gif

JohnnyH
(Login JohnnyHarmonica)

March 15 2009, 1:00 AM 

Doug I don't think anyone would have a problem with your card in their collection, but yeah that other one is SICK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug
(Login bearcat-doug)

March 15 2009, 9:42 AM 

I'm pretty happy with mine for a PSA 3 (I crossed it from the original BVG holder, see updated pics), but if I ever win the lottery I'd love to buy a NM or higher!

[linked image] [linked image]

This message has been edited by bearcat-doug on Mar 15, 2009 9:48 AM

Eric Brehm
(Login ebrehm)

March 15 2009, 10:53 AM 

I have an EX 5 one. Not sure why this one got a 5; I guess the corners are a tad soft. But it works for me:

[linked image] [linked image]

This message has been edited by ebrehm on Mar 15, 2009 11:17 AM

Doug
(Login bearcat-doug)

March 15 2009, 12:54 PM 

Given that it's fairly well centered I'm surprised it's not a 5.5.

Eric Brehm
(Login ebrehm)

March 15 2009, 2:29 PM 

That's a good question -- it would cost me $250 to get it reviewed by PSA, but it might be worth it if there's a good chance they would award the 5.5. From what I've seen and heard, PSA has not been giving away those half-grade bumps easily.

Doug
(Login bearcat-doug)

March 15 2009, 3:02 PM 

For what it's worth, I just sent mine in for review last week and it didn't get a bump. I'd say yours probably has a better argument though. All I got was a new holder for $100 + about $50 in shipping costs both ways.

Edited to add: If it doesn't get a bump they will give you a sticker explaining why. Apparently the surface wrinkles were the issue with mine although I still thought it had a shot based on the overall eye appeal of the card.

This message has been edited by bearcat-doug on Mar 15, 2009 3:13 PM

Eric Brehm
(Login ebrehm)

March 15 2009, 4:04 PM 

Ok, Doug, thanks again for the suggestion, I hadn't really even thought of it. I I'll probably go ahead and give the review a shot, and I'll report the results here.

JohnnyH
(Login JohnnyHarmonica)

March 15 2009, 7:05 PM 

Wow Eric that card is sick, how is that not a 6 !! No way that is a 5 it is just to nice !!

Doug
(Login bearcat-doug)

March 15 2009, 7:39 PM 

I don't see why it didn't get a 5.5 to begin with since it's in one of the newer holders already. Good luck with it if you send it in. I wouldn't be brave enough to do it myself, but you might have a better chance if you cracked it first.

Eric Brehm
(Login ebrehm)

March 15 2009, 8:44 PM 

I don't know if the new flip style with "EX" and "5" on separate lines was introduced at the same time as the new half-grade system, or slightly earlier, but Doug you're probably right that this card likely was graded when the 5.5 was already available, and thus not awarded in this case. On the other hand, from the stories I've heard, sending a card in for grading or review more than once often produces different results. With a card like '52 Mantle though, it is very expensive every time you do it, since they require that you pay for a higher service level based on the value of the card. Tough game to play.

Doug
(Login bearcat-doug)

March 15 2009, 10:29 PM 

From what I understand, they started the separate line labeling the same time as the half grades so you could tell if a card was graded before or after the new system. Your card looks like it has a better shot at a bump that mine did, but I kind of wonder if submitting it in the new style holder may have caused them to skip over it instead of giving it a better look. I could see it going either way but I saw a 3.5 '52 common that had worse creasing than my Mantle and it didn't seem to keep it from getting a bump. I was hoping for a 3.5 when I originally crossed it over from the BVG holder, but that was a bit of a strange experience in itself.

< Previous Page 1 2 3 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement