Postwar Baseball Cards Net Forum (Pre-1980)
Hello to all visitors! This is a moderated forum for the discussion of primarily vintage baseball cards that were issued after World War II and prior to 1980. If you are posting for the first time, please read our list of Forum Rules on our "Rules" page before proceeding. The forum will be moderated mainly to keep its focus. You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
MATT
(Login THEWX)

Re: Your first card-collecting memory

February 28 2009, 5:35 PM 

my dad brought home a pack of 1966 topps. I remember like it was yesterday looking for mets and loving the design. I think I threw them in a drawer. I remember a similar experience with the 68's. and then in 70 is when I really started collecting. Buying packs with money I scrounged with my friends at the local Rexall's drug store. My friend used to steal them but I was too afraid. Funny is that I dont remember the 67's or 69's when I was a kid. Probably because of the uninteresting design.

Clint
(Login ksfarmboy)

February 28 2009, 6:46 PM 

In 1977 a friend on my dad's bowling team opened a shop in the bowling alley. I worked there on the weekends and got to open the new cards and sort them. My first cards were 1961 dinosaur NU Cards. Baseball season was over but I remember opening packs of Star Wars and football.

Clint

Eric Brehm
(Login ebrehm)

February 28 2009, 6:47 PM 

1966 Topps was the first set I collected. The colors they used for the team banners in the upper left hand corner will be forever etched in my mind. I will always associate the color red with the Yankees and Dodgers, yellow with the Tigers and Cardinals (even though the Cardinals should obviously be a red team), blue with the Twins and Reds, and so on.

Dave Williams
(Login david-and-cindy)

February 28 2009, 7:13 PM 

1971 my mom gave me a pack of Topps from the Dairy store. I only remember one card, Steve Carlton. I was a Cardinal fan, and immediately took a pair of scissors to it, so it would fit in the picture section of my wallet.

We lived WAY out in the country in Central Illinois, on a dead end road in a "Hollow" - Bristol Hollow Rd.

I would ride my bike 10 miles to Chillicothe, Ill to a subdivision, and ride through it looking for pop and milk bottles for the deposit, often they were
in the ditch. I could usually get 4 or 5, enough for a couple packs of cards.

Then the Ben Franklin dime store had packs, or the grocery store. I pulled a 72 Johnny Unitas, and was the envy of all my buddies. Of course we also put our names on the backs of those cards so no one could rip them off at school or wherever, I've got dozens of cards with DW or David W on the back.

Those were the days.

Richard Cline - RC
(Login rc4157)

March 3 2009, 3:30 PM 

It had to be 1966 since I have some of those from my original collection but what I really remember is the 1967 Topps, loved going to the local store to pick them up for a nickel and quickly opening to see who was inside.

That was also the year I picked up the entire Reds set from '67 through the mail, thought that was pretty cool.

I collected regularly through '74 or '75 and then cooled off until everyone started collecting in the early '80s. That died off until a couple years ago when the vintage (pre-war) bug bit.

It's been a fun ride.

RC

Rob
(Login tiger8mush)

March 14 2009, 1:26 PM 

My first memory was being given a 1986 Topps factory set - probably as my 8yr birthday present. I loved them so much that I started taping them to my bedroom door.

J.McMurry
(Login jodymcmurry)

March 14 2009, 8:33 PM 

1973-74-75 topps.

Back in the early 70's my grandfather bought some land on lake Greenwood and built a cabin pretty much by himself. I used to spend most of my summers there walking those old dirt roads looking for returnable coke bottles so as to buy baseball cards at this old country store(picture the Beverly Hillbillies shack in the hills).

I remember in '74 always looking to pull that Hank Aaron card(I never did). Those are some of the best memories of my life. I was stunned to learn years later what Aaron was actually going through during this time.
Innocence lost.

Mike
(Login boomer84)

March 23 2009, 9:34 AM 

1957. The first series had dried up and the second series was out. I still needed several cards to complete the first series. One of which was Frank Robinson. Then came the news. This local mom and pop grocery store on the other side of town still had first series. Three of us on bikes were on our way. The store had about 3/4 of a box. We bought them all. First pack I opened there was Frank Robinson. Remains one of my favorite cards of all time.

Chris
(Login cbcbcb)

March 26 2009, 6:52 PM 

My first memory was the 1997 homerun race. I was seven years old and my dad bought so many sammy sosa and mark mcgwire cards for me. It seemed like everyday he brought home a box of cards.

Chris
(Login cbcbcb)

March 26 2009, 6:53 PM 

did i say '97, I meant '98, which means I was 8 years old.

Jerry
(Login TheBig6)

April 5 2009, 2:26 PM 

Not my first memory but a memorable one.
Bought a pack at the local Utotem on the way to school and stuck it unopened in my shirt pocket to save and open later as I liked to sweat them like a poker hand. During my daily constitutional I remembered the pack and opened it, while locked in the stall. I had been trying to pull a Bill Henry card as he lived in my Neighborhood and his son played on my little league team. Well, there it was a 59 Topps Bill Henry in a Cubs uniform , the gum was good too.

This message has been edited by TheBig6 on Apr 5, 2009 2:27 PM

Jamie Boneparth
(Login jbonie)

April 5 2009, 10:39 PM 

83 Topps. I was seven years old, turning eight. In my first pack I saw a Tony Gwynn. I knew very little about him, but was impressed by his highest batting average.

Later traded that card for an 89 Topps set, because I thought it was a better investment. My friend was like, "you sure?" Probably one of my dumber decisions...

boxingcardman
(Login boxingcardman)

I was 6

April 5 2009, 11:13 PM 

My parents took me out for ice cream after dinner at the Chinese restaurant at the mall in Mahopac, NY and my father bought me a pack of 1971 Topps.

Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc

Todd Schultz
(Login gotwins)

'66 for me too

April 6 2009, 12:30 AM 

I'm surprised to see so many here claim 1966 as the year they first discovered cards--same for me. I know I've told this story before and more than once, probably even on this forum. 1966 Mankato MN, Ben Franklin at the Tempo shopping center. Rode my bike the 2 1/2 blocks, pulled a Sandy Valdespino. Also collected the Philly football cards that year, and a few Topps FB as well (and mustn't forget Batman cards). Like Eric, I associated the teams with their banner/nameplate colors, which is why I did not like the '67s. Came back strong in 1968, buying my first box at age 9, and by '69 I was a four sport collector.

Eric Brehm
(Login ebrehm)

April 6 2009, 10:19 AM 

Todd -- I was disappointed in the '67's also. Though many now hail them as one of the best sets of the 1960's. As you said, at least in '68 and '69 they brought back the familiar color-coding for teams as they had used in '66. I built sets in '70 and '71 also, and that was about it for me, until the revival of the 1980's, when all of us now grown-ups revisited our childhoods. I also got interested in vintage cards like T206 and Goudey at that time.

Here are the team colors they used in '66, '68, and '69, which as I said earlier, always come to mind even today when I think of those teams:

Red - Yankees and Dodgers, and American League Leaders
Blue - Twins and Reds, and National League Leaders
Yellow - Tigers and Cardinals
Dark Green - Senators and Giants
Light Green - Orioles and Astros
Orange - White Sox and Cubs
Grey - Indians and Phillies
Bluish Purple - Athletics and Mets
Greyish Purple - Angels and Braves
Pink - Red Sox and Pirates

Edited to add: actually it is only the Kansas City Athletics that seem purple to me; once they moved to Oakland I saw them properly as green with yellow trim. And the Philadelphia Athletics are a grey team, I guess by association with the Phillies.

Topps themselves had some difficulty with the A's move to Oakland, and had to show the players in '68 with no hat or a blanked out hat, presumably to hide the "KC" from the year before:

[linked image]

This message has been edited by ebrehm on Apr 6, 2009 10:45 AM

John Moran
(Login jmoran19)

April 6 2009, 10:39 AM 

summer of 1970, seven years old I'm sure I nagged my Grandma until she bought me one of these:

[linked image]

Can remember the first 5 cards like it was yesterday:

Tommie Agee, Blue Moon Odom, Tito Fuentes, Tim Cullen and Davey Johnson

Rob
(Login dodgersin9)

April 14 2009, 6:11 PM 

1966 was my first year also, and my first card, which I still own, was Sonny Seibert. My older sister and I were at the Kresge's in Arlingtin Heights, IL- My sister told me I was stupid to waste 5 cents on a pack of baseball cards!

Jim VB
(Login jvb6034)

April 14 2009, 8:01 PM 

Rob,

Their theory was that 1966 Topps (Siebert) was a "gateway" card and it would just lead you into the "hard stuff" later in life.

Use marijuana to heroin for a similar analogy.

From their point of view, you've been pumping that s**t into your veins for 43 years!

Ricky Y
(Login Rickyyo)

April 15 2009, 7:40 PM 

My favorite memories go back to 1972-74 period...

I remember collecting the 72 Topps set..togehter with my best pal Robert, trading for our needs..but during the summer he moved away to another town. Meanwhile I finished the set. Later that fall, I visited him and asked him if he finished the set and he said "yeah finally!" and showed me the Bobby Bonds and Juan Marichal cards..and my jaws dropped to the floor..I then found out about the semi-hi and high numbers which didn't make its way to my local 7-11 or the corner drug store...so I didn't know they even existed.. sad.gif Took me another 10 years or so to get those completed!

Also remember sitting on a nice summer day in my friends mobile home park porch..swapping 73 and 74 Topps cards...I still remember I had to give the guy a 74 Reggie Jackson to get 74 Dave Sells common card that I needed... :-P

Ricky Y

Paul S
(Login p_spec)

Your first card-collecting memory

April 16 2009, 12:01 AM 

Me and my friends on the block, we got so many Topps '62 Berras we were putting them in our bike spokes. No lie.

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement