Postwar Baseball Cards Net Forum (Pre-1980)
Hello to all visitors! This is a moderated forum for the discussion of primarily vintage baseball cards that were issued after World War II and prior to 1980. If you are posting for the first time, please read our list of Forum Rules on our "Rules" page before proceeding. The forum will be moderated mainly to keep its focus. You can directly contact the moderator here if you have any questions or comments. Enjoy!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

My 1956-Topps style Charley Peete card

March 29 2009 at 4:33 PM
Bob Lemke  (Login wi05)

For those who don't visit the Memorabilia section of the forum, I want to share my latest custom card creation here.

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

[IMG][linked image][/IMG]

I'm thinking of doing a similar card for Tom Gastall, if anybody can heklp with photos of the ill-fated Orioles catcher.

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

leon
(Premier Login leonl)
Network 54 Moderator

Bob

March 29 2009, 5:35 PM 

Very nicely done...When I first started collecting I was doing all of Topps rookies and so forth, so had a a few 1956's....

Randy Trierweiler
(Login cardinalcollector)

Re: My 1956-Topps style Charley Peete card

March 30 2009, 4:12 PM 

Bob, very well done. There are not many Charlie Peete photos out there.

For those that don't know Charlie Peete, he had great potential.
1956 was his first and only year in the majors.

He was killed in a plane crash in Venezuela on his way to winer ball.
His wife and 3 kids died with him.

Randy

Bob Lemke
(Login wi05)

Article forthcoming

March 31 2009, 1:41 PM 

Randy, and all . . .

I mentioned it on the memorabilia board, but I'll repeat it here. I've worked up an article about Charley Peete and his few contemporary collectibles that should be appearing in SCD in the future. I'd been keeping notes and cippings about him for many years and finally worked them up into an article, since I was also doing my custom card.

Thinking about Peete's last moments on that plane, knowing his wife abnd children were doomed chokes me up. I only hope the kids were too young to comprehend.

Randy Trierweiler
(Login cardinalcollector)

Re: My 1956-Topps style Charley Peete card

March 31 2009, 7:00 PM 

Bob, I can't wait to see the article.

I have a 1956 Omaha Cardinals team issue B&W card of Peete that is similar to my avatar of Bob Gibson. LMK if you need a scan of it.

Randy

Bob Lemke
(Login wi05)

I would like a scan!

April 1 2009, 1:23 PM 

Randy, thanks much! I really would like a scan (300 dpi if possible). If you'll send me your mailing address, I'll drop one of the Charley Peete '56s in the mail to you.

Respond to this message   
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement