Return to Index  

Careful, different rules.....

February 28 2010 at 1:17 AM
Doug Owen  (Login DKOwen)
YC

Response to Doug, like you...

You have to be careful with using autos (textiles and some other products) to compare with the situation at hand. There are separate rules for them.

Generally, they are required to disclose sources, Crosman (and most others) are not. It is voluntary. If they elect to claim "Made in USA" then (to quote the FTC) "For a product to be called Made in USA, or claimed to be of domestic origin without qualifications or limits on the claim, the product must be "all or virtually all" made in the U.S. The term "United States," as referred to in the Enforcement Policy Statement, includes the 50 states, the District of Columbia, and the U.S. territories and possessions."
http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/adv/bus03.shtm

This means using offshore steel to make your barrels is not allowed....let alone the barrels themselves. That is the law. If Crosman wishes to use offshore parts or materials they can do so, they just can't claim "Made in USA".

Surely Crosman does not smelt the steel for their barrels, but someone in the US does, with domestic labor, ore and power.

If you have 25 years experience I'm sure you've seen some unexpected shortages happen. They can come from within your own organization or for an outside supplier. Crosman can get stuff from outside suppliers (like they do with the stock blanks) and as long as that maker is also domestic the "Made in USA" claim is valid, right?

What happens when a manufacturing defect shows up? Say a rifling button makes a run of reject barrels? Normally you 'borrow' from next month's run, right? There's a limit to that. Delays are likely to happen.

I'm sorry, all I see from the "evidence" that the guns are backordered all over (including being out of stock on the Crosman site) is that for whatever reason Crosman can't make as many as folks want to buy at this point in time. I see no proof what so ever that they are secretly using parts made by anyone else (who of course us subject to same unexpected delays), let alone an offshore one. On the Yellow Forum right now there's a thread about the long delays in getting BKL mounts (a "Made in USA" product, now owned by Air Force, a Texas company, making them 'in house' on new CNC gear), the given reason being anodizing issues.....no cheap Chinese parts there either I bet.

Doug Owen

Respond to this message   
Responses

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums from people under 18 years old, only with legal guardian(s) present.