<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Marauder 22 or 25

May 18 2010 at 4:58 PM
Mach-1  (Login Mach-1)
AR&P

I'm looking at the Midway USA site right now and pondering which caliber to order. Only concern is accuracy.

Is the 25 really that much more accurate?

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

(Login FREESPOOL)
YC

Accurate?

May 18 2010, 5:06 PM 

I can only speak for myself and I have a .22 and .25.I have not heard of an inaccurate .25 YET-but my .22 is pretty accurate as well.The .22 is much quieter than the .25-I have done zero adjustments on either.The .25 is one powerhouse compared to the .22.I guess it depends on what you are going to use it for. Jim

Respond to this message   
Mach-1
(Login Mach-1)
AR&P

Thank you - that is what I figured

May 18 2010, 5:13 PM 

Goal is a hunter. I figure 22 is all the power needed. Just been reading that the 25 is so much more accurate. Thought I'd get a few more thoughts.

I'd rather stay with 22 but hitting the target is the big thing.

Respond to this message   

(Login FREESPOOL)
YC

I dont know

May 18 2010, 5:18 PM 

To be honest the .25 is just amazingly powerful and accurate so far-I have not been able to shoot it at any distance and one could probably turn it down a bit to quiet her down.I like them both for different reasons-they each have a place.Hope this helps.Jim

Respond to this message   

(Login critter99)
YF

25 cal

May 18 2010, 5:46 PM 

is alil louder seems quite abit better in accuracy than my 22 (out of the box) and hits hard

I guess it come down to 2 things

Shot count 16 shots is enough??

Sound is it an issue???

Respond to this message   
Mach-1
(Login Mach-1)
AR&P

Shot count is not a major concern

May 18 2010, 9:41 PM 

Would be nice to get 24 but 16 works for a hunter.

Thinking my Discovery will become my plinker and it will get tuned down to below 20fpe maybe closer to 16fpe.

Thank you for the input. But dang had myself talked into 22cal until you said the 25 was so much more accurate.

Well guess I'll sleep on it and order tomorrow.

Respond to this message   

(Login critter99)
YF

24 shots out of box from 3000 fill

May 18 2010, 11:29 PM 

Okay here is my first shot string JSB 25.4 3000 PSI out of the box settings
start pressure from fill hose rest are guesstimate from rifle mini gauge

Hope this helps ya decide

3000 psi

2700 psi

2350psi
err

Respond to this message   

(Login jhunter77)
YF

May 18 2010, 10:17 PM 

Well I just got a 22 about a month ago. There are little tricks that help out. I put mine over a chrony and got 30 shots with a 20 fps spread at 870. It is still quiet and hits pretty hard. I had so so accuracy and then I did like they said. Clean the barrel with goo gone and shoot it. It went from 1" groups at 25 yrds to hole in hole accuracy. Day and night. Also I think once you run a few pellets down the tube everything smooths out also. I have not shot a 25 but I am going to wait and hope they come out with a 30 cal conversion. If I am going to loose shot count better make it worth it. I am guessing if I want some serious power I can crank the 22 up and get some custom cast bullets for it. I would guess that once they get the same weight pellet they should hit with about the same FPE. My guess is you can go up in power with the 22 but if you try to load light pellets in the 25 I would guess they will spray. Then add in ease of finding pellets...... I would go with the 22. Just my two cents.

Respond to this message   
Brooks
(Login scout8541)
YF

Re: Marauder 22 or 25

May 18 2010, 10:53 PM 

i bought a 25 after steve's review i was going to post pictures of my 100 yd targets smallest 3 shot group 5/8 2 more under an inch 3 3 shot groups that was with jsbs so far my t12 whisper or aa410 isn't as consistent and never achieved groups like that with any air rifle if it continues to shoot like this i'll video it at the range I've only shot those 9 jsb's at a hundred but a couple hundred at 50 yds i go to sleep at night thinking of this gun

Respond to this message   
ES
(Login lasabre)
YC

This changed my mind

May 19 2010, 1:16 AM 

Respond to this message   
Mach-1
(Login Mach-1)
AR&P

Thank you for the input.

May 19 2010, 9:17 AM 

I'm back were I started. 25 has the accuracy but is a bit overkill for small game and gives fewer shots per fill.

22 is the more practical choice as long as you can count on it to hit the mark. Plus it would eat the same ammo (in theory) as my Discovery which likes JSB Heavy or Kodiak pellets. It does not like any CR pellet.

That is the problem with my Discovery. POI shifts from day to day so I'm not confident it will hit the mark on long shots. It groups well... just the POI shifts.

Don't get me wrong the Discovery is a fine low priced AG. Just want more reliablity for long range hunting. By long range I'm thinking 30 to 50 yards not 100 yards.

Though the 25 sounds like it could do it at 100 yards. Wow that would be so cool.

Respond to this message   

REARSPROCKET
(Login REARSPROCKET)
YC

Re: Marauder 22 or 25

May 27 2010, 7:27 AM 

The .25 is the only one with a GreenMountain barrel and is accurate, the only draw backs are the shot count and quietness of it. A .22 has more shots and is quieter, but the barrel accuracy is better now but slightly a gamble.

Respond to this message   
Current Topic - Marauder 22 or 25
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums from people under 18 years old, only with legal guardian(s) present.