<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Marauder barrel moves in barrel band: reason? fixes?

May 4 2012 at 6:09 PM
Frank  (Login FS2020)
YF12

I just purchased my first Marauder .25. I immediately noticed that there was "slop" in the barrel, in other words, I could move the barrel around about +/- 1/8" with respect to the rest of the rifle. There is a significant gap, at least 1/8", between the barrel and the barrel band. The barrel band is rotated so that one side of the barrel is pressed against the barrel band.
I'm not an expert in air rifles, but I am a mechanical engineer, and this situation just doesn't seem right. If the barrel is intended to be floating within the limits of the barrel band, I would think the barrel would be centered within the barrel band.
Can anyone explain this situation? Is there a reason that the barrel is "floating?" Will it increase accuracy, but possibly cause problems, if the barrel is locked to the rifle?
Thank you for reading and considering.
Regards,
Frank
Pittsburgh

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
lpk5
(Login lpk5)
YC

Floating barrel

May 4 2012, 6:40 PM 

You can Adjust the barrel band by the set screws. The band itself should not be touching the barrel. There should be an accuracy increase with the floating barrel. If something or the band itself is touching the barrel, it CAN cause a change for POI.

Respond to this message   
Frank
(Login FS2020)
YF12

leave barrel floating? or secured?

May 4 2012, 8:55 PM 

Thanks for the reply. I can easily adjust the barrel band so it's not touching the barrel.
I assume Crosman designed the barrel to be floating for a good reason. However, I've read a couple blogs where some experienced gunsmiths secured the barrel. Has anyone studied the effects of securing the barrel so it is not floating?
Regards,
Frank, MSME

Respond to this message   

Tony in Puerto Rico
(Login turbonoma)
YF

Barrel should be free floating

May 5 2012, 5:03 PM 

I found this same situation with my rifle and asked around what was the solution. I was told to remove the barrel band and the shroud,then replace the barrel band and check for the barrel center in reference to the barrel band. If it looked off centered, then slightly bend the barrel till it's centered in the barrel band. Hope I've explained myself clearly. It worked for me.

Respond to this message   
RobertSerpan
(Login RobertSerpan)
YF

It must free float

June 16 2012, 12:22 AM 

Reason: As the air supply depletes/increases, the air tank will flex ever-so-slightly. If the barrel were not free floating, it would flex with the air tank and accuracy goes down the tube.

Respond to this message   
Frank
(Login FS2020)
YF12

Aha, that's why the barrel floats

June 16 2012, 6:25 AM 

I knew there must be a reason that the barrel floats. Thanks for explaining.

Are all air guns with similar air reservoirs designed with floating barrels?

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums from people under 18 years old, only with legal guardian(s) present.