<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Benjamin Scuba Yoke Explosion !!!

June 8 2012 at 1:27 PM
linden  (Login jackos75)
YF12

This morning I went to fill my M-Rod 22 that is about 2 weeks old with the Benjamin Scuba yoke fitted to a 67 cf scuba tank filled to 3000 psi.
The foster valve slipped on with some minor resistance as it has since day 1.
I opened the valve slowly and wow, bam, the the micro bore tubing popped off the male foster end and it was so loud that it woke up the household.
My wife ran outside thinking there was an explosion. No injuries thank God.
After careful examination, I found the black O ring from the scuba fill adapter had worked its way loose and ended up on the male end of the gun??
I called Crosman, excellent customer service, and they are sending me a new scuba yoke.
Has this happened to anybody else out there ??
The sound was very loud.. The bold was closed and the safety was on too..
thanks

Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Joe Brancato <><
(Login n6yyo)
YFOT

Glad to see they took care of you.

June 8 2012, 8:47 PM 

Glad to see they took care of you.

Was it on a brass male quick disconnect? Brass male QD's tend to be limited to lower pressure. You got to watch out for cheap hoses as well. Here's a post that is worth sharing:

http://www.network54.com/Forum/79537/thread/1324313389/Hose+Burst+on+me+last+night%21%21%21+I+had+to+change+my+pants%21

[linked image]

Joe Brancato 714-907-0067

For AirTanks, Custom Hoses, Fittings, Gauges, etc.
please click here http://www.AirTanksForSale.com

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   
linden
(Login jackos75)
YF12

Big Bang

June 8 2012, 10:11 PM 

Joe that's some picture,man. Could really get hurt playing with compressed air at 3000 PSI !!
Benjamin's support for the scuba yoke is limited because it's made for them by somebody else and
couldn't tell me where the O ring belonged .
This is my first venture with a PCP but I will keep an eye on these boards for advice like yours and your products.
Thanks for the feedback.

Respond to this message   
linden
(Login jackos75)
YF12

Big Bang

June 8 2012, 10:12 PM 

Joe that's some picture,man. Could really get hurt playing with compressed air at 3000 PSI !!
Benjamin's support for the scuba yoke is limited because it's made for them by somebody else and
couldn't tell me where the O ring belonged .
This is my first venture with a PCP but I will keep an eye on these boards for advice like yours and your products.
Thanks for the feedback.

Respond to this message   
Frank S.
(Login FS2020)
YF12

have great respect for 3000 psi

June 9 2012, 8:56 AM 

I do not want to sound preachy or condescending. However, I feel I should say something. Air at 3000 psi, even in a small 500 cc tank, can easily cause serious injuries or death if mishandled. I'm a mechanical engineer and I work in one of the U.S's largest national research labs. I work with high pressure (up to 20,000 psi experiments daily). The only major injuries in the history of our lab (that I know of) were from compressed gas cylinders at 2000 psi. In one case, two people were killed because they put the wrong fitting on a 2000 psi gas cylinder.

I have great fear and respect for my 97 cu ft carbon fiber tank at 4500 psi. I am very careful anytime I touch it.

My advice is to buy everything (HPA tank and ALL fittings) together from the same vendor. Make sure the vendor is qualified and certified to sell high pressure equipment. Ask them if their equipment meets all applicable ASME codes. Ask them about their education and certifications. If you ask them these questions and they have to go ask someone else for the answer, find a different vendor. If you want to add or change anything with your HPA system, ask the same vendor who sold you the equipment and make sure he/she knows everything about your system and everything you want to do. I would NEVER mix parts from different vendors or use parts with unknown histories. I'm not trying to advertise for anyone, but I purchased all of my HPA equipment from Joe Brancato. It's high quality equipment from a knowledgeable scientist.

This message has been edited by FS2020 on Jun 9, 2012 2:39 PM

Respond to this message   

Joe Brancato <><
(Login n6yyo)
YFOT

Frank, Thank you

July 5 2012, 6:51 PM 

I truly got into this business because I was scared and appalled by what was being sold. Braided steel hoses are commonly sold by many and are only rated for 1200 PSI service with 3000 PSI burst (and commonly DO burst). I had hoses rated at 6900 with brass ends, and increased them to 10,000 PSI hoses with steel ends that are stronger and don't shear as I am constantly trying to make my products the best possible.

Joe Brancato 714-907-0067

For AirTanks, Custom Hoses, Fittings, Gauges, etc.
please click here http://www.AirTanksForSale.com

[linked image]

[linked image]

Respond to this message   

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

D I S C L A I M E R
JK's Airgun Forums, moderators, and administrators are not responsible for any problems that may occur from reading or using content posted on this forum, as they are the exclusive responsibility of two parties: the person who posted it and the person who acted on said posted information.Use of our forums from people under 18 years old, only with legal guardian(s) present.