This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!

Return to Index  

Partitions (MAXL / ESSCMD gurus please...)

June 15 2005 at 11:55 AM
No score for this post
Javier 
from IP address 203.120.68.75

We have two Essbase servers, one production and one development (what a breakthrough idea!). I'll call them PROD and DEV.

The databases on each server are heavily partitioned to one another (one database has over 40 partitions). No partitions cross over to a different server.

These partitions are constantly changing through MAXL scripts that delete, create and modify them every single day. Not all the partitions but a few are sure to change each day.

Needless to say (and yet here I am stating it), synchronizing the PROD and DEV is a pain. I can easily synchronize outlines, data, calc scripts, etc by copying and pasting the APP directory from one server to another. That works perfect for me...

EXCEPT for the partitions. The DDB files from PROD when opened in DEV still point to PROD. When opening them from Application Manager, there's that great dialog box that allows you to "correct the missing half" (or something like that). I could do that, but there's hundreds of partitions (so I'd rather not do it manually).

SO MY QUESTION IS: Does MAXL (or ESSCMD) have a facility to do this "correction"?

The only possible solution I can think of is exporting the partition definitions using ESSCMD (PRINTPARTITIONDEFFILE) into text files, then write some sort of script that will go through those text files and generate MAXL scripts to create the partitions on DEV (replacing "PROD" with "DEV", of course).

I'm about to do that... but, again, I'd rather not.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. i'm lost - chewy on Jun 15, 6:18 PM
    1. Re: i'm lost - Javier on Jun 15, 7:54 PM
      1. Dude, that's NUTS! - Tim Faitsch on Jun 15, 10:14 PM
        1. Dude, it IS nuts - Javier on Jun 16, 10:15 AM
          1. so... - chewy on Jun 16, 6:37 PM
            1. FOILED - Javier on Jun 17, 8:18 AM
              1. Please keep me updated - Jeff McAhren on Jun 17, 8:39 AM
                1. Local host / Host file - BrettAlexander on Jun 17, 4:38 PM
                  1. It works - Javier on Jun 20, 8:04 AM
                    1. Cool! - Jeff McAhren on Jun 20, 12:21 PM
              2. Re: FOILED - Javier on Jun 17, 11:52 AM
          2. does it have to be partitions? - Graeme on Jun 17, 10:56 AM

2. Localhost / Host file - Brett Alexander on Jun 16, 1:59 PM
    1. Also - Brett Alexander on Jun 16, 2:00 PM
      1. Re: Also - Pranav on Apr 2, 9:02 AM
        1. Re: Also - Javier on Apr 2, 9:31 AM

3. Alternate Design - DanP on Apr 4, 11:30 AM
    1. Re: Alternate Design - Javier on Apr 4, 12:42 PM

Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.