This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!
 Return to Index  

Re: I think our overlapping responses are getting confused

March 19 2012 at 3:52 PM
No score for this post

from IP address 137.254.4.12

Response to I think our overlapping responses are getting confused

There's a lot to discuss here:

1. Let's not bring Exalytics into the equation yet -- at this point I'm going to withhold comments for various reasons...

2. I've tested large ASO models and have seen no benefit in allocating more cache than is recommended by the DBA Guide. I'd love to see the cube that proves otherwise. The bottom line is that cache in ASO isn't very important.

"A 32 MB cache setting supports a database with approximately 2 GB of input-level data. If the
input-level data size is greater than 2 GB by some factor, the aggregate storage cache can be
increased by the square root of the factor. For example, if the input-level data size is 3 GB
(2 GB * 1.5), multiply the aggregate storage cache size of 32 MB by the square root of 1.5, and
set the aggregate cache size to the result: 39.04 MB."

So the equation is this:

SQRT((Input Size in GB/2)) * 32

Input Size/Recommended Cache Size
--------------------------------------
2GB/32MB
10GB/71MB
50GB/160M
100GB/226MB
200GB/320MB
300GB/391MB
400GB/452MB
500GB/505MB

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Agree on ASO Cache Size but that was not the question - DanP on Mar 19, 5:46 PM
    1. Re: Agree on ASO Cache Size but that was not the question - Tim Faitsch on Mar 20, 7:37 AM

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.