This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!

Return to Index  

I was wrong...it was GZIP Compression that fixed it.

June 21 2012 at 4:39 PM
No score for this post

from IP address 67.224.68.20

Response to Re: Ran A Zoom-Off of classic vs. Smart View

So in putting together my "Zoom-Off" analysis I found that the having repeated members on or off made very little difference in performance but the reason Excel was bombing was not having the gzip option turned on. Tim, this probably makes more sense to what you were thinking should be happening - it does now to me that I understand it.

That is what I get for changing more than one thing at a time. I changed the setting in Smart View to suppress repeat members at the same time I added the setting to turn on gzip compression.

Smart View is now successfully retrieving over 2 million rows. It does take some time to process that large of a retrieve but it does correctly return and render the data.

So to sroux,

I'd say that smartview is stable and I would recommend moving your users to it. Even before this issue was resolved our users loved the improvements/features in 11.1.2.1.103. I've been using the classic add-in for over 4 years now and would have to say that I like Smart View better now (and I was a classic junkie).

And Oracle was great to work with on the support issue. I think Matt was spot on when he said you just need to configure it correctly and understand it because it does have more moving parts than the classic add-in.

Let me know if you have questions...I'd be happy to go through all the "settings learning curve" we've gone through over the past few months getting everything to work well.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

1. Re: I was wrong...it was GZIP Compression that fixed it. - Jeff McAhren on Jun 21, 6:19 PM
    1. Re: I was wrong...it was GZIP Compression that fixed it. - Rob Vicker on Jun 21, 10:32 PM
      1. join.me - Jeff McAhren on Jun 21, 11:34 PM

2. Re: I was wrong...it was GZIP Compression that fixed it. - Tim Tow on Jun 21, 7:31 PM
    1. Re: I was wrong...it was GZIP Compression that fixed it. - Rob Vicker on Jun 21, 10:27 PM
      1. Re: I was wrong...it was GZIP Compression that fixed it. - Tim Tow on Jun 25, 12:50 AM
        1. Re: I was wrong...it was GZIP Compression that fixed it. - Rob vicker on Jul 2, 9:33 AM
          1. Re: I was wrong...it was GZIP Compression that fixed it. - Robb Salzmann on Jul 2, 10:30 AM
            1. Re: I was wrong...it was GZIP Compression that fixed it. - Rob Vicker on Jul 2, 11:00 AM

3. Nice post to save and archive - sroux on Jul 4, 9:49 AM
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.