This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!

Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Why does PERL suck...

• Posted Jul 26, 2011 7:53 PM

... with proper apologies to Tim Faitch, Larry Wall, et al,
      <rant>
      PERL hit the programming language scene with amazing (at that time) capabilities when I ran into it in late 1987. In 25 years, the language itself has done little to evolve itself and today hallmarks as this cryptic language that only a geek can sling.

For me, I can with other languages do volumes more work in less time with less code that is readable and maintainable by more people, so why try to do things with a language that was generally meant for extraction, string mangling, reporting, and administrative (UNIX) tasks. I like Regexes as much as the next guy, and think their pretty handy at times, but mash a few of them together in a perl script and you get what looks like the output of a military grade 256 bit pseudorandom pattern generator.

My experience dealing with PERL code left behind by someone before me has almost consistently been an exercise in rewriting _badly_ written code just so I can understand it enough to make the changes & additions requested. Anymore its been more cost effective to gather the requirements and just start over with a different language.

Here's a guy who's written "the best perl script ever": http://karwin.blogspot.com/2009/01/best-perl-script-ever.html

map(($r=$_,map(($y=$r-$_/3,$l[24-$r].=(' ','@')[$y**2-20*$y+($_**2)/3<0]),(0..30)),),(0..24));print join("\n", map(reverse($_).$_, @l)), "\n";

I think the script prints some sort of mushy marriage proposal of sorts, but gawd.... In the Navy, we just used BCG's (Birth Control Glasses) http://s3files.core77.com/blog/images/2010/05/0bcgs02.jpg

</rant>

Of course this is all one guy's opinion, and I will agree that PERL still has its merits (though I'll never admit to any in public).

Regards,
      Robb
    Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options