This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!
Respond to this messageReturn to Index
Original Message
  • Re: Big news: Hyperion on-premise premier support extended
    • Gary Crisci
      Posted Jun 16, 2017 8:09 AM

Yes Tim

To clarify IaaS, infrastructure as a service = subscribing to basic compute from Oracle. We still manage everything on the server, same as today; but technically I am in the "cloud". This probably won't be a big play for Oracle since Amazon and Microsoft can likely continue to do it cheaper.

PaaS, platform as a service = what we have called a "hosted solution" for years. Oracle runs the infrastructure and maintains the software (patching, trouble tickets, etc.) This is where Oracle has a lot of opportunity, especially in certain ERP spaces. They have Fusion in the cloud as a SaaS, but if you look at the other ERPs like EBS, PeopleSoft, and JD Edwards, PaaS is the best option for getting those customers into the cloud. Getting people to abandon those after 20+ years isn't going to be so easy. Oracle needs to change the proposition to allow people to lift and shift their existing apps into the cloud. Effectively moving to the cloud becomes a hardware refresh. In my opinion this is the only way to make it palatable to some organizations.

So if this becomes the strategy for many organizations, then I go back to my original question, if I go to the cloud but I'm using "on-premise" software, do I still get treated like a step-child? Oracle needs to solve that right away. Extending the support, I believe, is a first step in that direction.

Login Status
  • You are not logged in
    • Login
      Password

Optional
      Provides additional benefits such as notifications, signatures, and user authentication.

Create Account
    Your Name
    Message Title
    Message Text
    Options

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.