This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

FDM vs Hyperion DIM

August 24 2011 at 5:48 PM
No score for this post
Yan 
from IP address 72.29.249.193

Hi, what are the major differences between FDM and DIM?
Do they use the same adaptor for Hyperion Planning?

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Yan

No reply yet?

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 11:33 AM 

My initial question has got no replies as yet.
Is the question too general?

Cameron Lackpour

Totally different products, RTM

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 12:48 PM 

DIM is repackaged Informatica with special adapters (not updated all that often).

FDM is the repackaged (quite a long time ago) Upstream package. AFAIK, it is its own little world although it has links to ODI through ERPi.

DIM -- I can't even link to the web page as it's only in Windows Compiled HTML Help File format:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17236_01/nav/portal_6.htm

FDM:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17236_01/epm.1112/fdm_admin/ch01.html

I see the two of them (and ODI) competing with one another as they all offer similar capabilities on the data side (yes, yes, you have to code it in ODI/DIM*, I know, but they do play in the same sandbox). You could view this as confusing or a rich tool portfolio; I prefer the latter interpretation. :)

FDM is, AFAIK, data only. I am sure someone will correct me on that if I have it wrong.

ODI/DIM do data, metadata, and just about anything else under the Sun -- they are very, very, very flexible tools.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

* I haven't installed ODI 11 yet (am doing so today or tomorrow) but I know that ODI 10 offered its own data quality component, completely separate from FDM. I never installed it so what exactly it did/does I can't say -- I had enough challenges learning how to use ODI let alone adding more challenges.

Cameron Lackpour

Whoops, one other thing

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 12:50 PM 

DIM is, unless Oracle has changed direction, deprecated in favor of ODI.

Even if you work in an Informatica shop, unless Oracle's bought them, I'd focus any new implementations on ODI -- that's where the action (ERPi, for instance) sits.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Yan

No metadata for FDM?

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 1:25 PM 

Thank you very much Cameron for your comments. You mentioned that FDM can only do data, and no metadata function at all. Does that mean I cannot use FDM to load metadata into Hyperion Planning 11? If that is true, what tool does Hyperion Planning 11 use to load metadata? (I once used HAL - Hyperion Application Link, to load metadata into Hyperion Planning 9.2, but I heard that HAL is not used after v9.2?)

Cameron Lackpour

ODI, DIM, Outlineload.cmd, and EPMA all load metadata to Planning

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 1:54 PM 

Four different ways to accomplish the same thing.

I have actually spoken to someone using HAL with Planning 11.1.2.0. Where they got the software, the adaptors (I know that 9.2 worked with 11.1.1.3 -- maybe it still works with 11.1.2.x), why they did it, I cannot say.

So that makes five.

AFAIK, FDM only loads data (it does a lot of things, all around data). Read the docs -- it's all about importing data, not about metadata.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Yan

Thanks!

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 3:00 PM 

Thanks again, Cameron!

FDM when used with ERP Integrator can load data and metadata

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 2:01 PM 

ERP Integrator came out a few years ago and is an FDM Module to integrate with key source systems (PeopleSoft/E-Business Suite/SAP) and can load metadata and data.

See more at:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17236_01/epm.1112/erpi_admin.pdf

Regards,

John A. Booth
http://www.metavero.com

Yan

Thanks!

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 3:02 PM 

Thanks, John!
I checked the document and found that it can load metadata with ERPi.

Cameron Lackpour

I have to ask -- do you really want to do that?

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 3:21 PM 

What are your requirements, anyway?

I believe ODI *must* be installed for ERPi to work -- the footprint is not small. Of course ERPi must also be installed.

If it meets your requirements, then fine, but I wonder what you are trying to do and why you are so intent on using FDM to load metadata? Is that your only tool?

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Yan

FDM is the planned tool

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 3:47 PM 

Hi Cameron,

At this point both HW and SW are not available to me as yet (HW not arrived), but I am told the client bought FDM to load data, which leads to my question about its ability for loading metadata. I used DIM and HAL before, but have no experience on FDM. Based on your comments, it seems using FDM for metadata is not a good choice, eh?

Yan

Re: FDM is the planned tool

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 3:57 PM 

FDM to load metadata, ok, but what about datadata?

Personally, I'm not in love with ODI.

It's like using one of these: http://www.wolaver.org/humor/stripminer.jpg

when this would do:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1f/2008-07-15_Construction_wheelbarrow_at_Duke.jpg

Cameron Lackpour

I so want one of those strip miners

No score for this post
August 29 2011, 4:33 PM 

Ah yes, the Krupp Bagger 288. Doing its bit to irreversibly change the earth's surface for the next 10,000 years or so. How could that possibly not work out?

I will concede that the learning curve is a pain. But it is awfully powerful.

I think Oracle has heard you (and others) wrt Planning, cf. the OutlineLoad.cmd utility which can do almost everything HAL ever could (or all that sane people ever did with HAL).

I think that FDM is *primarily* used to load data.

The OP ought to take a look at what ERPi entails (remember, he asked about DIM). From a quick perusal of the docs, ERPi requires:
* FDM
* ODI (that super powerful tool again)
* Whatever the target is (EPMA or Classic)

If one's only goal was to load metadata, why would you implement ERPi? Now, if drill back, ties to support data sources, etc., were part of the requirement, then yes, it makes sense. But if the *only* requirement is to load metadata, it seems quite a bit harder to go the FDM/ERPi/ODI route.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

P.S. I must note that I have not yet implemented ERPi -- maybe the whole thing is magically wrapped up in a module and it is easy-peasy to install, administer, and use but it still seems to be a difficult way to accomplish a relatively simple goal. Just my $0.02.

David Welden

Re: FDM when used with ERP Integrator can load data and metadata

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 10:03 AM 

The PDF you reference does not include SAP in the source systems:

Supported Source Systems
ERP Integrator supports general ledger data for:
Supported Source Systems 11
l PeopleSoft Enterprise Financial Management 9.0
l PeopleSoft Enterprise Financial Management 9.1
l Oracle E-Business Suite 11
l Oracle E-Business Suite 12
ERP Integrator supports human resource data for:
l PeopleSoft Human Capital Management 9.0

pg 11-12

Was that removed in 11.1.2?

CALVIN: You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.

Doc links

No score for this post
August 30 2011, 10:44 AM 

Open the SAP Adaptor for FDM readme at http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17236_01/nav/portal_6.htm

Correction on SAP adaptor -- it does not bring in metadata -- it is only data. It also works with very specific modules and versions.

Regards,

John A. Booth
http://www.metavero.com

Current Topic - FDM vs Hyperion DIM
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.