This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

SAP R/3 Integration to Essbase 9.2

March 29 2012 at 1:01 PM
No score for this post
Marv 
from IP address 70.96.228.67

Currently we have an Essbase 9.2.1 system that we load monthly with data from an Oracle General Ledger. We are moving to a SAP R/3 GL system and everything is in flux.

What is involved with moving R/3 data and metadata to Essbase? When I check the board I see references to HAL, AIS, EIS, DIM, etc. Many of these posts were from years ago. What is a simple, cost-effective way to get this done? Would a consultant be needed for days, months, or years? Can we use SAP ABAP to get csv files with data/metadata, and use that for Essbase loads? Is that simple?

Thanks...Marv

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jeff McAhren

Re: SAP R/3 Integration to Essbase 9.2

No score for this post
March 29 2012, 1:13 PM 

Both SAP organizations that I've been at did the ABAP thing to produce load files/tables for Essbase. The effort was more than a few days, but less than a few weeks. It depends.

If you're implementing BW (or whatever it's called now), that might be a better option. It has fairly decent structured/dimensionalized data that could get you what you need without ABAP, but to do that, I think you'd need Open Hub.

keith

integrating with SAP

No score for this post
March 30 2012, 2:50 PM 

I am pretty sure IBM Data Stage sells adapters that source SAP data to target Essbase. Oracle also sells a tool called ODI that has Knowledge Modules that point to SAP. If you have no middelware component than you need to extract the data directly out of SAP somehow into a text file. I am not sure how this is done in the field.

Someone mentioned a few days to a week - I think this is really aggressive. Typcially converting to a new GL esp ORCL to SAP would result in a significant reconfiguration of your cube. I would at the minimum give yourself a month to six weeks. You'll need time to understand the new data/master data in the SAP GL and some more time to understand how those changes impact your current reporting/planning cube(s).

Marv

Thanks!

No score for this post
March 30 2012, 6:01 PM 

Jeff/Keith/Azmat
Thank you for your responses!

We don't own ODI or Data Stage, so I expect to be doing something without the middleware, with extraction into a text datafile.

I am not converting our existing GL, only building an entirely new cube that reflects the SAP Data/Master Data. I will look into SAP BW for building extraction files.

Azmat Bhatti

SAP to Essbase integration

No score for this post
March 30 2012, 3:12 PM 

Hi,

We had used HAL for 9.2 to take a txt file from SAP GL and load it into Hyperion Essbase. HAL would do the load/consolidation and then produce the logs and e-mail the user once it is done.

Now since we moved to Sys 11.1.1.3, the HAL projects where converted into ODI.

Check ODI, it has built in adapters to talk with other systems like SAP, Oracle, PeopleSoft etc etc.

Thanks,

Azmat Bhatti

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.