This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Smartview/APS Insufficient Memory

April 30 2012 at 12:08 PM
No score for this post
Rob Vicker 
from IP address 50.80.23.209

We have an ASO cube that when drilling to bottom on a large dimension it fails with the SmartView error of:

'Requested operation failed due to insufficient memory in Provider Services.'

There is nothing in the logs that I can find. There must be a threshold I am hitting and don't have a setting correct but I am not sure where to look.

Pending cache size limit is 256MB
Data Retrieval buffers are both 100kb

Essbase 11.1.2.1.103.

Thanks in advance.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Tim Tow

Re: Smartview/APS Insufficient Memory

No score for this post
April 30 2012, 12:22 PM 

Hi Rob,

How much memory have you allocated to the Smart View/APS service in Weblogic?

Tim Tow
Oracle ACE Director
Applied OLAP, Inc

Rob Vicker

No score for this post
April 30 2012, 3:25 PM 

Ok - first time using 11 with weblogic - if it was a "default" install does the console still reside on port 7001 for weblogic or is it defaulted to a different port for epm?

Short answer is I can't login to the console so I can't find that answer.

Tim Tow

No score for this post
April 30 2012, 3:53 PM 

Hi Rob,

On my 11.1.2.1 laptop, the Weblogic server console is still on port 7001. Be sure to start the admin server; on my machine it is on the Start Menu at Oracle WebLogic > User Projects > EPMSystem > Start Admin Server for Weblogic Server Domain.

Tim Tow
Oracle ACE Director
Applied OLAP, Inc

Rob Vickerf

No score for this post
April 30 2012, 4:22 PM 

I had just realized it wasn't started - thought it did by default.

Looks like APS is not running so that seems to be the problem I'll fix first.

Rob Vicker

No score for this post
April 30 2012, 9:58 PM 

APS is now up and running and here are the weblogic stats for the APS server.

Heap Size Current: 536870912
Heap Free Current: 82184824
Heap Free Percent: 15
Heap Size Max: 536870912
Total Physical Memory: 8508469248

Robb Salzmann

No score for this post
May 1 2012, 10:05 AM 

Rob,

Is this a development server? It looks like your heap size is too small. .5GB allocated, and only 8MB free is probably not going to service a large query.

Consider bumping it up to 2GB. Also I think you should put more physical RAM into the server.

Regards,
Robb Salzmann

Rob Vicker

No score for this post
May 1 2012, 3:20 PM 

Robb,

It is actually production. I agree on bumping up the physical RAM - age old "discussion" with the IT staff. I am working on that issue at the same time. It is a VM so we've gone round and round about on server sizing but we are getting better.

I have a mirror server in dev that I will bump to 2GB first and test it there.

Thanks for the input...Rob

Rob Vicker

No score for this post
May 14 2012, 2:55 PM 

Do you think it would be beneficial to bump the Admin and Foundation JVM's as well? They are both at 512m also.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.