This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Essbase Studio, ASO Multiple Hierarchies, and Recursive Dimensions

May 23 2012 at 11:40 AM
No score for this post

David Welden 
from IP address 167.219.0.140

My first ASO cube, so bear with me please. And I have read the fine but sparse manual which does not directly address my issue as far as I can see. I see it discussed in Glenn's fine book also, but not specifically in terms of how to satisfy ASO requirements. Perhaps recursive tables are not the norm?

I am building a dimension that has multiple alternate shared member rollups. I have directed studio to build this dimension as Multiple-hierarchy enabled.

The table for this dimension is in parent/child form and includes both the stored and the shared (dynamic) rollups. Studio is failing to build the outline as it apparently wants to build all of the hierarchies as stored. I saw the hint about properties on Generation 2 members. I tried changing it from Store to Dynamic but that did not help.

Am I going to have to separate the stored hierarchy and the share hierarchies into 2 different tables or 2 different dimensions in Studio to get this to build?

CALVIN: You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
SK

EIS

No score for this post
May 23 2012, 11:44 AM 

In EIS you can identify which ones are your stored hierarchies. Not sure how it works with Studio. There may be something similar.

GlennS

Re: Essbase Studio, ASO Multiple Hierarchies, and Recursive Dimensions

No score for this post
May 23 2012, 12:17 PM 

Hi David,
I've not tried recursive hierarchies with ASO cubes yet but this might work. Create user defined members for the the generation 2 members and then add the parent child underneat of them. Something like

Total Soda
Diet
Parent
---child

you could then set Total Soda to be stored and Diet to be dynamic. Since it would build those members first, the ones in the parent child would jsut see them and assume they were in the cube already.

Just a thought

David Welden

No score for this post
May 23 2012, 1:53 PM 

Great idea, Glenn, but sadly did not work.

I entered the shared hierarchies as User Defined Siblings of the main hierarchy, then placed the child member under it. Then in Essbase Properties, I set SADM and siblings to Aggregate Storage Options: Dynamic. Results same as before but just a different error message:

\\Stored member [SABC], has a dynamic prototype. Shared members (level > 0) in dynamic hierarchies can only be shared with dynamic hierarchies.
\\Stored member [SDEF], has a dynamic prototype. Shared members (level > 0) in dynamic hierarchies can only be shared with dynamic hierarchies.
\\Shared member SABC not at level 0
\\Shared member SDEF not at level 0

Perhaps a new column in my table for the external ASO option....

CALVIN: You know, Hobbes, some days even my lucky rocketship underpants don’t help.

Glenns

No score for this post
May 24 2012, 1:36 PM 

I still think some variation of this might work.
IF I have total Products as a user created member and set it to stored and Diet drinks set to store or dynamic (remember the primary hierarchy has to be stored) then I have as a sibling of these parent with child under it, it might build.
You couls also try having the two members and put parent and child under Total products having the sql ignore building the total products and diet drinks members.

David Welden

No score for this post
May 25 2012, 10:09 AM 

So far the only way I have gotten it to work is to suppress the Dynamic Hierarchies from building on the initial build by manipulating the SQL view definition. Then I select an incremental rebuild with the Dynamic Hierarchies enabled. A bit hokey if you ask me, it should be simpler than that.

I do have the dimension defined in Essbase properties as Multiple-hierarchy Enabled, and on Gen2 I have Aggregate Storage Options set to External Source column. And I have all of the Gen2 members with C for the stored hierarchies and D for the dynamic hierarchies. So not sure what I am missing.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.