This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

32 vs 64

June 4 2012 at 10:59 AM
No score for this post

from IP address 209.221.240.193

Hi everyone,
We are getting new servers! Yay!
Our current servers are 32 bit and the new ones will be 64 bit. We currently have 32 bit Essbase installed.
In order to migrate our EPM System (11.1.2) to the new servers, do I need to install 64 bit Essbase? Can I run 32 bit Essbase on a 64 bit server? Can I migrate my current applications from 32 bit to 64 bit without any issues? All feedback appreciated!
Thanks.

Ana Lawton
Financial System Analyst (PTNA/CTG4)
Robert Bosch Tool Corporation
1800 W. Central Road
Mount Prospect, IL 60056 USA

Tel: 1-(224)-232-3126
Fax: 1-(224)-232-3092
Ana.Lawton@us.bosch.com

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Cameron Lackpour

I don't even play an infrastructure consultant on TV, but install the 64 bit release

No score for this post
June 4 2012, 12:02 PM 

Ana,

You'll get the ability to address way more memory if you install the 64 bit version. That's the big reason to go 64 bit. Think of what you can do with caches and (if BSO) block size.

From what I've seen, most if not all databases come across just fine. Once in a while there are databases that performed better in 32-bit and need some rejiggering but it isn't all that common.

Often there is a big speed bump although I think that is hard to separate from the (usually) faster drives and CPUs that come with new boxes. Of course if you go from DAS to a SAN that may not happen.

I'm sure the more infrastructurally-inclined will chime in.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Sroux

Win64 + plenty of ram = cache mem locking?

No score for this post
June 4 2012, 3:06 PM 

I always wanted to ask this as we run essbase on 64bits with 36gb of ram : can I then enable cache memory locking database setting on critical apps? I mean is it safe now or still risky?

No to cache memory locking.

No score for this post
June 4 2012, 5:50 PM 

Hi Sroux,

I would not suggest using cache memory locking -- I've had bad luck in 11.1.2 with this. This being said if you have enough memory you shouldn't need to worry about that. Especially conflicts with Direct I/O (yes there are good reasons to use it with really slow disk).

Regards,

John A. Booth
http://www.metavero.com

GlennS

Re: No to cache memory locking.

No score for this post
June 5 2012, 11:11 AM 

I had a customer try direct I/O with an 11.1.2.1 install (64 bit) and we found restructures crashed the application. In talking with one of the lead internal support people, she said, Direct I/O was the leading cause of database corruption and they will be pulling it from the product at some point. With Exalytics changes, I'll bet it is sooner than later.

Bob

One caveat

No score for this post
June 4 2012, 9:07 PM 

EIS is NOT fully supported in ANY 64-bit O/S. Although it will function for the most part - building cubes - but you cannot import/export your models/outlines. So you will need to keep a 32-bit PC running somewhere, install the 32-bit version of 11.1.2.1 (or 11.1.2.2) on it and connect it to your EIS repository. From that system you will be able to import/export your models from dev to test to prod.

The issue is with the 64-bit Datadirect ODBC data drivers and there does not appear to be any plans on resurrecting this service. So, you may want to dust off your EPMA or Essbase Studio skills.

Very true and annoying <EOM>

No score for this post
June 4 2012, 10:09 PM 

Glenns

Re: 32 vs 64

No score for this post
June 5 2012, 11:13 AM 

Ana,
You should be able to migrate the applications from 32 bit to 64 without too much issue. Once there, you will most likely want to look at performance as a stright migration may not give you boost you are expecting.

Current Topic - 32 vs 64
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  
 Copyright © 1999-2014 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.