This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Platform independent outline viewer - interest

May 12 2015 at 12:55 PM
No score for this post
Jason Haney 
from IP address 173.62.204.182

I had not planned to announce this to the board just yet since I'm still working out bugs in development. However, since the OlapUnderground viewer was just released, I thought I'd take the opportunity to gauge interest in a similar product I am developing: A platform-independent read-only outline tool.

I noticed one comment that the OlapUnderground viewer is Windows only (I haven't downloaded it yet so please correct me if that is not the case) which means that any of us Mac users would have to install a Windows VM (much like EAS). While this can be done, my preference is to have a platform-independent tool, accessible via a web server, which is why I started writing one.

I thought this would be a good time to gauge interest in such a thing. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

PS - As mentioned above, I don't have anything to release at this time but I do have a screenshot if that interests anyone: http://www.waynetc.com/products.html

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Mike Henderson

What the world needs ... SecViewer

No score for this post
May 12 2015, 1:53 PM 

That's nice and all, but I just don't see Macs or Linux desktops. Classic chicken-and-egg perhaps.

Here's what I realllly want:

Before each Plan or Forecast opens, we need to validate security. Organizations change, plus the biggest fear seems to be "Who can see their boss's and their peer's salaries?" During UAT, it seems that 80% of the issues have something to do with security. Currently to get the entire picture I need to look in SS (groups, users, provisioning), EAS (filters), and Planning (metadata and form / rule / smartlist ACLs). I don't want division FPA to have to go there. Yes, there are reports available for some bits, but it would be a heck of a lot easier to click on a node in a tree and find who has access to what and why.

System admins and the division FPA leads need visibility to security in a simple (i.e. treeview) fashion.

SS security is hierarchical -- Groups belong to other groups, users belong to groups -- so why the #$*% doesn't Oracle present it that way?!?!

So... give me a drillable treeview of SS groups / users. Search for a username and it goes to the first appearance of the user or group in the treeview and presents a details panel that lists groups they belong to. Search again it goes to the next one. Select a userid in the treeview and right-click for a menu choice to change the details panel to show a list of all groups they are in, provisioning roles they have inherited from ancestor groups, Planning ACLs assigned to them or their groups, or Essbase filters. Export these detail reports to Excel or just tab delimited file. The underlying data for this can be found in the various repositories or it can be batch exported to files by LCM. SQL queries from repositories would be a lot simpler to implement than parsing xml files, and SQL queries give a more up-to-date perspective than a batch export.

Sroux

Mike you're a great person, your request is authentic, please help Mike!

No score for this post
May 12 2015, 3:28 PM 

Pete

Re: What the world needs ... SecViewer

No score for this post
May 12 2015, 5:12 PM 

I know Celvin has done a lot of Planning security SQL reporting in the past - I've used some of his blog posts to get particular items out.

That said - I agree wholeheartedly. Simple security models are easy, but once you get complexity (particularly if you've had to build security specifically for workflow\approval processes) backing through it again is difficult. The number of excel spreadsheets I've built....

We've had luck at one client with a third party security tool (a whole of business security audit tool - who can see what etc) where one of the sql whiz kids managed to pull everything from the planning repositories and provided fantastic reporting. Heavily customised to that client though and serious money third party software I assumed.

I'm sure others frequenting this forum have undoubtedly built 'tools' themselves as well!

Celvin Kattookaran

That's a cool idea

No score for this post
May 13 2015, 11:31 AM 

I might start looking at that Mike :)

Some of the stuff that you mentioned about getting the provisioning of a user and ancestors, not a drillable view. It creates a hierarchy report and then shows use the provisioning information of group it is part of.

Mike Henderson

Re: That's a cool idea

No score for this post
May 13 2015, 12:02 PM 

Write it in Java / Apex and sell it to Oracle. Remember me when you are rich and famous. ;)

sroux

No score for this post
May 13 2015, 4:57 PM 

Celvin are you thinking about a feature that could be embedded in NUMSys?

Celvin Kattookaran

No score for this post
May 13 2015, 11:00 PM 

I'm thinking about porting NUMSys to a web based application and built the features Mike pointed out to that one.

If I can do that then the issue with NUMSys being server based will be some what solved :)

Celvin Kattookaran

NUMSys Web

No score for this post
December 14 2015, 10:09 AM 

NUMSys web version is live now :)

http://www.orahyplabs.com/2015/12/numsys-web-edition.html

Cameron Lackpour

I see a lot of Macs at conferences...

No score for this post
May 12 2015, 5:33 PM 

...and actually a fair number of consultants with them.

It seems as though every single one of them uses some kind of Windows emulator.

Having said that. what would be really cool would be a browser-based tool like this. Think about all of the effort Oracle have gone through to make their last desktop-only tool, SmartView, as easy to install as possible (I am thinking of installation through Workspace primarily0 and it's still a colossal PITA.

Client free means I can install it once as a web application and world+dog can view it.

Will it be as slick as Tim's tool? That's a question only you can answer. :)

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

P.S. We're practically neighbors, btw. Go PA!

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.