This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Hybrid Essbase

November 23 2015 at 3:29 PM
No score for this post
josh 
from IP address 65.115.230.110

Hello All,
Can we use EPMA to deploy Hybrid Essbase applications? Versions could be 11.1.2.3.500, 11.1.2.4.

Thanks,
Josh

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Cameron Lackpour

Good question, but why not?

No score for this post
November 23 2015, 3:43 PM 

It's just a BSO database with dynamic sparse dimensions as well as an entry in the Essbase.cfg file.

So, given that it's EPMA, it's a 100% crap shoot as to whether it works or not.

:)

Seriously, I'll bet it does bar some insane bug on EPMA's part.

Why not create Sample.Basic as Hybrid, then convert it to EPMA, then make a change? It should take all of 15 minutes to see what happens.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

josh

Would love to test it out, but...

No score for this post
November 23 2015, 3:58 PM 

I would have loved to test it out but
A) I dont have an environment to test it and
B) I dont have access to restart essbase services on client's box.

so thought of asking the community to see if they had done something like that.

I am pretty confident that it would work but again nothing is for certain till you have tried it out.

Thanks,
Josh

Chuck Usher

Tried it, but didn't run it to ground...

No score for this post
December 5 2015, 12:43 PM 

<<Seriously, I'll bet it does bar some insane bug on EPMA's part.>>

I have tried it from EPMA with a Planning app I had created in 11.1.2.3.500 using Exalytics.

App was working fine from EPMA before hybrid, including metadata changes/adds/removes into the Essbase outline.

I enabled Hybrid.

After that, I found that the app would deploy and indicate "Success" from EPMA, however...I noticed that my Essbase outline was no longer changing. It was not reflecting new or deleted metadata. I even deleted and recreated the app anew with same results consistently.

Unfortunately, I did not have access to the UNIX folders to see anything there, and due to where I was in my project, I did not have time to run to ground, and in particular to start an SR.

Note that this was a PLANNING app and EPMA won't let you add an ASO Plan Type either. But since the switch flick to Hybrid is in the .cfg I though EPMA might not be aware of this. It could have been something else besides hybrid, but watch for this type of occurrence. If EPMA/Planning/Hybrid can't coexist, you could enable this and find yourself in a gotcha if you don't test for metadata updates like I did.

I will be trying again in the upcoming weeks and filing an SR if same occurs.

Mike Henderson

Re: Tried it, but didn't run it to ground...

No score for this post
December 5 2015, 10:50 PM 

Have you tried a manual refresh from Planning in Workspace to Essbase.

I have seen occasions where an EPMA deployment's job console says it was successful, outline changes appear in Planning web, but deployment to Essbase simply does not happen. A silent failure. I can usually un-clog the pipe by manually refreshing from Planning in Workspace. Once this is done, future deployments usually work just fine.

er@essbase.ru

if once turn off EPMA you never return back

No score for this post
December 6 2015, 3:06 AM 

for my POV - Exalytic does'not work with Epma

Becouse Epma required Windows server

Did you do custom under classic Exa decision ?

Cameron Lackpour

It's dead, Jim

No score for this post
December 6 2015, 2:54 PM 

It's stick-a-fork-in-it dead. You can covert EPMA apps to Classic.

It isn't there for Exalytics, it isn't there for PBCS, and it won't (I hope) be around too much longer for on-premises Planning. I don't hate it because of it's concept, I hate it because it's so flaky.

I guess if one is stuck with an EPMA deployment with no budget/schedule to convert to Classic there isn't an option but I'd set up a skunkworks project to show that it isn't that hard to do.

All you have to lose are your chains.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

er@essbase.ru

Hybrid or NOT

No score for this post
November 24 2015, 2:38 AM 

Before migrating to the Hybrid - just check this optimisation technics

1) In one of large sparce dimension set all parents member to the Dynamic Calc except top of hierachy and (maybe) most used
2) To calculate this dimension use AGG command ( for creating blocks on parent if child dynamics)

It's cheap decision and very useful

Cameron Lackpour

This is counterintuitive, but...

No score for this post
November 24 2015, 7:41 AM 

ER,

So you're saying that it's *good* to have an AGG with a huge (well, large) number of dynamic BSO aggregations called by AGG?

Do those intermediate subtotals fire in Hybrid using the ASO query processor and then store numbers at the top?

I ask this because I had a database that really didn't work very well in Hybrid. I made level 1 stored and then did an AGG -- the aggregation was really, really, really fast. Query performance after that was really, really, really fast as well.

Hmm, I think I just answered my own question -- if it's fast to do it at level 1 and set the rest to dynamic, it must be true the other way as well. And I'll bet it's even faster because the number of intersections/blocks are way smaller.

I'll have to go try that out but I'll bet that's the answer.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Josh

Making Parents in BSO DC.

No score for this post
November 24 2015, 9:33 AM 

The reason I wanted to test out the Hybrid solution was to check performance of the app. I have around 14 dims in the app, 7 aggregating dimensions and the largest dim with 30K stored members.

I will try making parents of small dimension as DC and then just agg the large dimension. This will definitely cut down agg time but may increase retrieval times.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,
Josh

Anonymous

Re: Making Parents in BSO DC.

No score for this post
November 24 2015, 12:22 PM 

i mention about dcalc on the middle level
top member and level 0 must be stored

Cameron Lackpour

Oracle are looking for databases like this

No score for this post
December 6 2015, 2:51 PM 

Josh,

If you're interested in working with Oracle development, send me a message on LinkedIn.

I can almost 100% guarantee you'll be besties with a whole bunch of people with an oracle.com email domain.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Vijay

EPMA - Hybrid planning - Going back to original question

No score for this post
January 17 2017, 3:50 PM 

Hello,

I am facing the original question again but don't have an environment to test it out.

Any one tried and managed to maintain metadata using EPMA successfully for Planning applications - for which Hybrid mode is enabled? Thank you.

Regards,
Vijay

Pete

Re: EPMA - Hybrid planning - Going back to original question

No score for this post
January 17 2017, 11:17 PM 

I cannot think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

The hybrid setting is against the essbase config layer (well below the touchpoint of EPMA into a Planning application).

I mean, I'm not sure anyone is going to have an environment to test on - aren't too many brand new (11.1.2.4) EPMA builds anymore!

John A. Booth

EPMA the new Essbase Add-In

No score for this post
January 18 2017, 8:55 AM 

Apparently EPMA has quite the following regardless of it being EOL. I keep seeing this over and over online and in real life.

To your question -- I second Pete that I see no reason why this shouldn't work. EPMA has no idea for good or bad that Hybrid is or isn't enabled.

There aren't special tags that EPMA is unaware of so there should be no problem with EPMA + Hybrid.

Kind Regards,

John A. Booth
https://www.metavero.com

Vijay

ASO Data Storage Property

No score for this post
January 18 2017, 11:18 AM 

Thank you Pete and John for your response. I do believe there should not be a problem in EPMA + Hybrid. Its a matter of getting reassurance from experts or who have already implemented it. Got it now :)

I have another interesting question which is around in Hyperion world for few years now. this is on the data storage property.

---------------

Any idea if the data storage property issue with EPMA has been fixed in 11.1.2.4? looks like it is not. As any update to datastorge property (still shared?) updates all the applications (planning / BSO /ASO) when updated in shared library?

Is there a way to maintain different storage property for the same member within EPMA shared library for planning and stand alone essbase ASO cube?

If yes, Please let me know how this can be achieved?

Note: got to know there are properties like ASOmemberdatastorage and BSOmemberdatastorage in EPMA but it is specific to HPCM. Wondering why this is not available for Planning / BSO and ASO. frustrating as it negates the usage of shared library and mandates administrators to overwrite the properly at local application level.

Any suggestions would be of great help. Thank you.

Regards,
Vijay

John A. Booth

I think you are out of luck

No score for this post
January 18 2017, 12:03 PM 

I would seriously look at an EPM replacement ala EPMware, DRM, Orchestra Networks, ...

That issue has been in EPMA for some time and from an Oracle stand point they will consider it an enhancement and since the product is on life support you have no luck of ever seeing that delivered.

Likely they have had this enhancement in the hopper for several years -- they don't move at the speed of a Tesla innovation ala tweet something Elon he cars about and it's there in six days.

Kind Regards,

John A. Booth
https://www.metavero.com

John A. Booth

See Cameron's reponse for your Duct Tape<EOM>

No score for this post
January 18 2017, 12:04 PM 

Vijay

EPMA Live or Dead really?

No score for this post
January 18 2017, 1:13 PM 

Thanks John once again for your response.

I do follow blogs from EPM experts and happen to read an interesting line in one of Eric's blog in the link below
https://theitside.net/2016/04/19/roadmap-for-on-premise-epm/

that says "For metadata, lets be clear: in spite of all the rumors, EPMA is not going away"

and the other thread gave some hope that if not resolved in 11.1.2.3.500 at least in 11.1.2.4. So thought it was on chords at least for 11.1.2.4.

I could also see a number of issues fixed in EPMA release 11.1.2.4. So was wondering why not fix this as well being the famous and most sought of requirement from the customers using EPMA?

Love to hear back from experts ...

Regards,
Vijay

Cameron Lackpour

Not an infrastructure expert but...

No score for this post
January 18 2017, 2:15 PM 

You are seeing one (Eric) person's perspective.

John noted that EPMA is EOL. I agree.

Take a look at Oracle's development priority. It's Cloud, Cloud, Cloud. If there is no EPMA in the Cloud and Cloud is where the $$$ goes...

I think what Eric meant is that it will be supported/tolerated for the time being before it goes on extended support i.e. "You're on your own if we can't find it as an existing fix in MOS".

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.