This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

How to solve a dependant rolling calc

March 30 2017 at 9:59 AM
No score for this post
kurt 
from IP address 50.177.154.108

Hello all I have a case where a prior month total needs to roll into a base member of the current month total, then roll the logic forward into future periods. I'm running into an order of operations issue. I can't use two-pass because I'm calculating for members of non-account dim

I have two dims:

Source:
---TotalSource
-----S1
-----S2

Initiative:
---TotalInitiative
-----I1
-----PriorBase

So I want to calculate for "PriorBase" something basically like this: PriorBase = @Prior(TotalInitiative->TotalSource);

The problem I'm running into is that Essbase is calculating period before PriorBase is calculated. I've worked around this issue by using LOOP (or running the calc 12 times!) but would hate to resort to that. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Pete

Re: How to solve a dependant rolling calc

No score for this post
April 1 2017, 5:54 PM 

Hey,

thought about making TotalInitiative a dynamic calc and then wrapping the calc script in interdependancy brackets.

Stolen from the DBAG
https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E57185_01/EDBAG/dcadevcs.html

If you are using an IF statement or an interdependent formula, enclose the formula in parentheses to associate it with the specified member.

For example, the following formula is associated with the Commission member in the database outline:

Commission
(IF(Sales < 100)
Commission = 0;
ENDIF;)

kurt

Re: How to solve a dependant rolling calc

No score for this post
April 3 2017, 11:18 AM 

Thanks for the suggestion, I was trying not to use dynamic calcs because of other calc dependencies that may slow things down but I'll give it a shot.

Amit

Have you tried @CALCMODE (BOTTOMUP)? (EOM)

No score for this post
April 2 2017, 10:20 AM 

kurt

Re: Have you tried @CALCMODE (BOTTOMUP)? (EOM)

No score for this post
April 3 2017, 11:19 AM 

I had tried that but didn't work. I'm using a loop for now. Sort of a hack but it works and runs fast in this case

GLennS

Re: Have you tried @CALCMODE (BOTTOMUP)? (EOM)

No score for this post
April 3 2017, 2:35 PM 

Try using cell mode. IT will process each of the members in a fix one at a time instead of all at once

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.