This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

Migrating Essbase cubes to Essbase Studio

June 13 2017 at 9:58 AM
No score for this post
AU 
from IP address 68.114.34.11

Hi,

What would be the way to migrate ASO essbase cubes from EAS 11.1.2.4 to Essbase Studio 11.1.2.4? Is there any solid documentation?

Thanks in advance!

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply
Cord123

Migrate what exactly?

No score for this post
June 13 2017, 10:56 AM 

What exactly are you looking to migrate? Essbase Studio is just a cube building/data loading tool, so in essence it's going to just deploy the exact same cubes into EAS anyway. If you wanted, you could export your outlines and data using the outline extractor and then load those into relational tables and build your hierarchies in Studio using them, but I'm not exactly sure what your use case is.

AU

Re: Migrate what exactly?

No score for this post
June 13 2017, 11:09 AM 

Hi,

I just want to use the drill through option. I was thinking I need to redeploy EAS essbase cubes via Essbase Studio to use the drill through function.

Cord123

Metadata Source?

No score for this post
June 13 2017, 11:44 AM 

What is the metadata source for the cubes? You should use this to rebuild the cubes in Studio, so that each time the cube is deployed, it picks up the latest metadata changes from the source.

AU

Re: Metadata Source?

No score for this post
June 13 2017, 11:54 AM 

Some cubes have the flat files as the sources, other the SQL server as the source. Not sure, if it's worst to redeploy all our ASO cubes just to use Drill through reports essbase studio utility.

Cord123

FDMEE

No score for this post
June 13 2017, 12:15 PM 

Have you considered FDMEE as an alternative? It allows you to drill down on existing cubes without having to redeploy or create drill through reports. The draw back is that you can't get the data sucked into Excel and it only allows you to drill down on the lowest level of detail in a cube. This seems like a much better option to me if you want to avoid having to recreate the hierarchies and models within Studio.

AU

Re: FDMEE

No score for this post
June 13 2017, 2:37 PM 

Thank you, I might consider FDMEE..

Thank you!

John A. Booth

FDMEE's drill

No score for this post
June 13 2017, 11:07 PM 

The drill feature in FDMEE is over-rated and over-sold in my opinion.

Would definitely suggest looking at Drillbridge vs FDMEE if drilling is important.

Kind Regards,

John A. Booth
https://www.metavero.com

Pete

Could not agree more

No score for this post
June 14 2017, 12:34 AM 

We've spent a long time pushing FDMEE \ Data management as far as it will go, the following downsides still exist:
- Drilling from upper levels is a hack job
- The format is terrible and virtually impossible to change
- the 'best' format is to concat transaction detail together to a single field - but this then means filtering on these fields is impossible.
- performance of even medium volumes starts to suffer. 1m rows upwards is very very slow.

This compared to even just the community edition of drillbridge where:
- Upper level drillthrough is a check box (and it literally has the java api pulling the hierarchy from essbase directly)
- Reports start nicely formatted and then can be reformmated using CSS
- Alternative hierarchies and mappings are supported
- the source tables can be actually optimised for the queries

The only real advantage is that, for PBCS, licensing is included in the cost of the user license.

On-premises, where you need to purchase FDMEE licenses for every drillthrough user, even though they will never use any of the other FDMEE features, it's a complete slam dunk for drillbridge.

And unless you're very good with Essbase Studio, and have the data already formatted, you're going to spend a lot more time and money getting that working.

Jason Jones

Alternative option with Drillbridge

No score for this post
June 13 2017, 1:21 PM 

Hi AU,

When you refer to migrating EAS cubes to Studio, do you mean EIS instead of EAS? EIS was the predecessor to Essbase Studio. EAS is just an admin tool. If your cubes aren't currently being built with EIS then migrating to Essbase Studio can be a lot of work.

Something else you might look into is to use Drillbridge. As with the well known Outline Extractor, Drillbridge is available as a free tool (there is also a licensed version with support and more features for companies that need it).

With Drillbridge, you can leave your cubes exactly how they are. You then create drill-through definitions for the cube (Drillbridge helps with this) and then let Drillbridge handle the process of translating from your the cube's outline to a relational query that returns the data. Drillbridge can perform upper level drill-through, drill on more than 1000 different items (even circumventing the Oracle 1000 item limit in IN clauses), make columns drillable, automatically format/hyperlink entries, and more. The only real requirement is that you have relational data somewhere that Drillbridge can query on. So in the case of your flat files you might need to load those to a relational table to be able to query on that.

The free version of Drillbridge can be downloaded from the Applied OLAP website (in addition to the Outline Extractor and other tools).

Hope that helps,

Jason Jones

AU

Re: Alternative option with Drillbridge

No score for this post
June 13 2017, 2:37 PM 

Thank you, I'll take a look at it.

GlennS

Re: Alternative option with Drillbridge

No score for this post
June 14 2017, 7:13 PM 

Assuming SQL data sources (Studio won't drill to flat files), I've used the outline extractor from applied olap to reverse engineer cubes so the metadata is in relational tables, then used Studio to build the cubes and set up drill through,

Gary Crisci

Re: Migrating Essbase cubes to Essbase Studio

No score for this post
June 15 2017, 12:46 PM 

Keep in mind Studio is no longer a strategic product.

Robert Armstrong

Future of Essbase studio

No score for this post
June 16 2017, 9:50 AM 

Is there anything published about this?

Cameron Lackpour

It's dead, Jim

No score for this post
June 16 2017, 11:40 AM 

Studio is part of Essbase. Essbase is cloud, cloud, cloud. Studio would be quite the stretch for a cloud product. Even if it is on the roadmap they have so much more work to do with Essbase cloud that I can't imgagine it being upgraded any time soon.

"No longer strategic" = "deprecated" = "life support" = "dead".

But I'm a cynic so with luck it'll live on with renewed vigor.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

Tim Faitsch

Cloud drill through to transaction layer

No score for this post
June 16 2017, 12:21 PM 

What's the solution look like for cloud drill through?

GlennS

Re: Cloud drill through to transaction layer

No score for this post
June 16 2017, 1:21 PM 

We will have to wait and see. I worked with Development over a year ago on what features I would like to se drill through have, and the plan was (hopefully still is) to integrate it directly into OAC, not a separate product. This was a lower priority for them as getting the product out with the "required" features was a priority.

<< Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.