This Essbase discussion board is provided as a free service and dedicated to all the Essbase professionals out there!
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

KScope Advice

June 15 2017 at 9:04 AM
No score for this post
Cord123 
from IP address 38.110.207.226

So I'll be attending Kscope for the first time this month. I'm slated to be there from the 26th to the 28th and I'm trying to figure out how to make the most of my time while I'm there. I have the link to the Kscope agenda http://kscope17.com/images/ODTUG-Kscope17-Digital-SAG.pdf and from what I can tell there will be conference rooms divided up among all of the speakers, with each session being split between the conference rooms.

How does the registration work? Do you pick a conference room that seems like it's going to have topics that interest you and then sign up for that conference room? Can you move between conference rooms as you please? What would be the best way to make the most of my time at Kscope for the days that I'm there? Any advice or input would be greatly appreciated.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
AuthorReply

Jeff McAhren

Move around as you please

No score for this post
June 15 2017, 9:29 AM 

You don't need to sign up for a conference room, and you can move around as you please.

Picking sessions can be tricky.

I generally look all of the sessions in each time slot, put on "x" on sessions that I'm not interested in at all, circle the ones I'm genuinely interested in attending, then make a decision.

When I can't decide, I preview the slides in the online app to get a better idea of what the session will cover. If you have to miss a session that you really wanted to attend, more often than not, the presenters put their email addresses in the slide deck, and are willing to answer questions (should you have any).

Cord123

Thanks

No score for this post
June 15 2017, 11:40 AM 

Great. Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Gary Crisci

Download the mobile app

No score for this post
June 15 2017, 12:33 PM 

Download the mobile app. It will help you create your schedule and manage it on the fly throughout the day.

Cord123

Dress code?

No score for this post
June 23 2017, 12:13 PM 

Do people show up casual or business casual for this?

Jeff McAhren

Fairly casual

No score for this post
June 23 2017, 12:53 PM 

Either is fine, as far as men's attire goes, about half are business casual, the other half are in nice jeans and a button down shirt. Some people will wear shorts on travel days.

Be prepared for cold meeting rooms. Also consider a dip in the pool, maybe a cocktail hour or nice dinner.

DrFosterman

Fairly Casual

No score for this post
June 23 2017, 1:08 PM 

In other words, make sure to balance your dense/sparse dress accordingly. A dense restructure might be required in the evenings. You may need to merge slices (mixed metaphor) when you get back to your room.

Cord123

Ha good to know

No score for this post
June 23 2017, 1:39 PM 

That's good to know. I definitely wouldn't want to show up too dense and then have performance issues later on in the conference. Thanks for all of your input guys. It is much appreciated.

Tim Tow

Re: Dress code?

No score for this post
June 23 2017, 1:29 PM 

I will start jeans/t-shirt when I get to the hotel this afternoon, improve to business casual on Sunday, and degrade throughout the week. By Thursday, I will be in my standard jeans/t-shirt.

Tim

Tim Tow
Oracle ACE Alumni
Applied OLAP, Inc

jessie

Dress code?

No score for this post
June 26 2017, 1:02 PM 

For dress code, follow the hourglass method....warm on top and the bottom, minimal in the middle....

Cord123

Great Conference

No score for this post
June 29 2017, 10:56 AM 

I had a great time. Thanks to all who advised me to go. It was also nice to meet some of the network54 gurus that I respect so much.

Tim Tow

Re: Great Conference

No score for this post
July 1 2017, 7:37 PM 

It was great meeting you at Kscope. See you next year in Orlando!

Tim

Tim Tow
Oracle ACE Alumni
Applied OLAP, Inc

Tim Faitsch

favorite sessions?

No score for this post
July 3 2017, 9:11 AM 

What were folks favorite sessions?

Jeff McAhren

I branched out

No score for this post
July 3 2017, 3:53 PM 

I attended a lot of 'Financial Close' sessions, as well as some 'EPM Business Content' and 'EPM Infrastructure' sessions this year.

In particular, a session on project management for EPM was pretty good, as was a session on moving EPM apps to AWS EC2.

The Sunday symposiums started out pretty good with "now / soon / future" matrices for most products, and the updated on-prem announcements from Oracle. They dragged on as the day went on though, with a lot of coverage for products that aren't on my radar.

For Essbase...

Brian Marshall had a good presentation about VM vs Physical for the Essbase server, with a lot of testing stats to back it up.

Of course Tim and Cameron's session on Essbase cloud was really good, as was the deep dive on Thursday.

I attended Al Marciante's session on the Future of Smart View, but I didn't take many notes, I don't think there was anything new or shocking revealed.

The founder of The Onion spoke at the Monday general session, and he was pretty funny.

Tim Tow

Re: I branched out

No score for this post
July 3 2017, 4:59 PM 

I liked Matt's on-premise update session, but I disagree with his comparison. In comparing on-prem to cloud, he said something like, "People don't buy cars anymore, they take Uber." That really isn't that great of a comparison as Uber only serves 75% of the population of the US and getting to the rest (in the rural areas) is likely to be very hard. Likewise, EPM Cloud may cover the needs of 75% of companies, but does that mean that Oracle plans to let someone else address the other 25% of the market? My bet is that in 13 years (when on-prem premium support is due to end), things will have changed.

Tim

Tim Tow
Oracle ACE Alumni
Applied OLAP, Inc

Cameron Lackpour

Don't have Uber, don't want it

No score for this post
July 3 2017, 6:21 PM 

I too disagree with that analogy.

Some people think Uber and its founder is...icky. I'm *not* saying Oracle EPM cloud is tarred with Uber's significant ethical issues. I *am* saying there's lots of reasons to not use a service, because there are alternatives, even if the alternative is to do nothing.

I was on the Planning ACE lunch panel along with Jake Turrell and Celvin Kattookaran with Tracy McMullen moderating. There were many, many, many questions about PBCS/EPBCS. Tracy asked how many were PBCS customers -- the answer was *three*.

The cloud ain't for everyone.

That 2030 number -- would you really expect to be running 11.1.2.4 (or even the not-yet-released) 11.2 on Windows Server 2028? Would anyone keep a system around that long? #notgonnahappen

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

P.S. God willing and the Creek don't rise, I will be *retired* in 2030. I could care less about the whole thing. :)

Anonymous

Re: I branched out

No score for this post
July 5 2017, 9:22 AM 

On Sunday, Matt slapped the hands of partners for selling competing products, said something like they better figure out what partner meant.

He had a "future of on-premise" session later in the week, it had to be moved to a larger room due to the number of people that showed up. There were really only two people who seemed concerned about the lack of commitment to on-prem, a guy on the front row, and a lady standing in the back. Are partners afraid to speak up, or are people coming to terms with the shift?

Tim Faitsch

Death of On-Premises

No score for this post
July 5 2017, 9:53 AM 

As others have stated, I think the pendulum will swing back and forth a couple of times in the next 10-15 years. I like having the option to not have to manage servers. I also like having the option of managing them myself. For now, I have some questions:

1) Is the technology ready for it? i.e. Are we still just talking about vaporware or can I really build something today for a Fortune 500 company? If I can't, when can I?

2) How do I move gigabytes of data up to the Oracle cloud everyday? It's hard enough to move data from one server to another in my own data center.

3) Will there really be less work for us developers to do? I'm still going to have to deal with messy data environments, ambiguous and overly complex requirements from users and all the other stuff that requires relatively expensive expertise. How much of that stuff goes away?

And a wee bully pulpit...
This dog and pony that Oracle shows us where users can build cubes on the fly from Excel is a joke unless they figure out how to make Smart View run faster. Maybe they aren't using SV to do the cube build thing? I have users pulling 20+million cells. If they're pulling that, then they're going to want to put it back into their own custom cube. It's so cute when they do their demo and they upload a few hundred cells. That's not reality.

If I gave this ability to my users, it would diminish my work load by about -50%. Meaning I would have at least 50% more work to do. I wouldn't be able to stop making sure high quality cubes were available, it would just allow my users to aggregate things in a different way. At that point I'd be in the business of troubleshooting user cubes instead of just my own.

In the end, I believe the Cloud is just a way for Oracle to sell the software _AND_ the hardware. Nothing less, nothing more. It's what they've wanted to do for a very long time.

Tim

Cameron Lackpour

My thoughts on this

No score for this post
July 5 2017, 2:38 PM 

Tim,

In order:
1) I think large companies are using it, albeit in a toe-in-the-water way. Midsize companies have embraced the cloud. Having said that, I think lots of companies are still on the fence about when to adopt.
2) Best have a really fast internet connection. Even if it's in Oracle's DBCS it has to get there somehow.
3) I don't believe there's less work except for the infrastructure bit. Analysis, design, project management, and even the final build are all the same. That's not how Oracle sells it but that is (mostly) the message Oracle product management touts. That, as you will have surmised, has caused a lot of confusion in the market when customers find out that these projects take longer than six weeks. It has been a source of a *lot* of pain in the partner world. If you (or anyone) are thinking about being a partner, I'd think long and hard about it right now. Partners are suffering and I wouldn't be shocked by next Kscope to see several mid sized firms just gone.

Re Cube Designer -- it's interesting but not ultimately the way people will build Essbase cubes.

Have you not seen the equivalent for PBCS? It just came out and, "You can do it in a day. You can do it by yourself." <--This is a paraphrase and, apparently, *not* an apocraphyal story. This too did not cause partners any joy. Ultimately, it does a disservice to customers (which in the end is what really counts) as well unless you think you can actually build a Planning application in one day flat.

I can't help you on SV other than to say it's coming to the true cloud version of Office 365. That will make all the Mac lovers out there happy but I cannot imagine what the performance impact will be. I will ask why your users are pulling that amount of cells. Isn't that a relational use case?

Lastly, Oracle are making lots of money on cloud via licenses. Why wouldn't they do that? Whether that's best for customers is a question only they can answer.

Okay, really lastly: 11.2 is *18* months away. 18. Why 18 months is beyond me as it appears to be (yeah, I'm likely over simplifying it) a port of limited PBCS functions.

Regards,

Cameron Lackpour

P.S. I too have a data quality concern when it comes to self-service BI which in essecnce what Essbase cloud is in the context you describe. I wouldn't give users access to it but we're both coming from an IT-centric perspective. Crap data seems to not bother some people. OTOH, Essbase cloud doesn't require you to do that at all and you can control it for the purposes of good just like you can with on-premises.

Jeff McAhren

Six Weeks

No score for this post
July 5 2017, 5:12 PM 

Wow, I just heard about the "it should take six weeks" thing from someone else today, and now here.. how did I miss this?

So Oracle pushes their cloud tech, tells customers it should take >=6 weeks to implement, basically tells partners to stop selling implementations (because 'big implementation' sends the wrong message about how easy cloud tech is), is this correct?

They've got to know that most FCCS or PBCS projects can't be done in 6 weeks, so then what.. failed implementation? Or they set up four more six week "phases" to get it working? Good for Oracle in the short term, but disastrous in the long term (not that Oracle cares about EPM).

< Previous Page 1 2 Next >
  << Previous Topic | Next Topic >>Return to Index  

RSS feed for this forum - http://www.network54.com/Forum/58296?xml=rss. Please email hypess (at) gmail.com, if you have any questions/feedback/issues.