Return to Index  

Bamboo Fleet

March 6 2009 at 3:03 PM
No score for this post
Tom Womack  (no login)
from IP address

Response to Re: bit puzzled

Hi Allan...

Welcome's been a while since we've heard from you! Just a quick question on who was in charge of the Bamboo Fleet. Was it an Army operation (i.e. MacArthur) or was it a Navy operation (i.e. Hart)?

I just finished reading Tommy Hart's biography (A Different Kind of Victory) and he had some less than kind words to say about his "old family friend" Douglas. At one point, Hart goes so far as to question Big Mac's sanity and grasp on reality.

In return, the general consistently put down both Hart personally and the Navy (such as by telling Hart to get a "real fleet" and then he would taken seriously) at every opportunity. He also loudly blamed Hart for the USN's failure to resupply the Philippines; this charge apparently littered many a MacArthur telegram to high-level officials in Washington.

Hart says that such efforts to resupply the PI through the Japanese blockade were futile. With this in mind I'm just wondering if the Bamboo Fleet was his creation or if it was born out MacArthur's frustration with the USN not being able to supply him.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   

Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement