vital stats on the five Asiatic Fleet DD officersApril 21 2009 at 6:39 PM
No score for this post
|Nelson (no login)|
Response to Cmdr. Thomas Howell Binford,
Thanks for the information on Vice Admiral Binford. By the by, some of these flag ranks were obtained during the officer's active career; others were due to a "bump up" one rank at retirement. I don't know which was which in every case. Here are the vital statistics, complete or partial, for the five officers about whom I originally inquired. There are a few contradictions, so they will require some additional research.
Commanding Destroyer Squadron 29, Captain (later Vice Admiral) Herbert Victor Wiley: b. May 16, 1891; d. April 28, 1954. I wrote d. May 1954 in another thread, but I believe his d.o.d. of April 28, 1954, is the correct datum. Navy Cross, but NOT for action in the NEI.
Commanding Destroyer Division 57, Commander (later Captain) Edwin M. Crouch: graduated USNA, Class of 1921, so born in either 1899 or 1900; died on or about July 30, 1945, after the torpedoing and sinking of USS INDIANAPOLIS, on which he was a passenger.
Commanding Destroyer Division 58, Commander (later Vice Admiral) Thomas Howell Binford: b. August 25, 1896; d. August 1973 (I THINK after his birthday). Navy Cross for action at Badoeng Strait.
Commanding Destroyer Division 59 until late January 1942, Commander (later Vice Admiral) Paul Hopkins Talbot: b. April 3, 1897; d. September 8, 1974. Navy Cross for action at Balikpapan.
Commanding Destroyer Division 59 as of late January 1942, Lieutenant Commander (later Vice Admiral) Edward Nelson Parker: b. July 26, 1904 (his medal citations specify d.o.b. of July 7, 1904); d. October 15, 1989. Three Navy Crosses, for actions at Balikpapan, Badoeng Strait, and Solomons Islands, all in 1942.
Binford - Kevin Denlay on Apr 21, 2009, 11:50 PM
Re: promotions - Mark E Horan on Apr 22, 2009, 11:38 PM
- Re: promotions - Nelson on Apr 23, 2009, 1:51 AM
- Re: Relief - Mark E Horan on Apr 23, 2009, 3:47 AM
- Relief , a question, and more - Don Kehn, Jr. on Apr 23, 2009, 5:56 AM
- Re: Relief - Nelson on Apr 23, 2009, 8:26 AM
- Stokes and Parker in the naval battle of Guadalcanal - Nelson on Apr 23, 2009, 5:12 PM
- Cmdr. Stokes NOT KIA in naval battle of Guadalcanal - Kit on Apr 23, 2009, 6:28 PM
- Re: Cmdr. Stokes NOT KIA - Nelson on Apr 23, 2009, 8:09 PM
- Re post-NEI careers of officers - Don Kehn Jr on Apr 24, 2009, 8:03 PM
- Re: Cmdr. Stokes NOT KIA - Kit on Apr 25, 2009, 2:29 AM
- obituary for VAdm Thomas Murray Stokes - Nelson on Apr 25, 2009, 3:32 PM
- USN flag officers: Part I. VAdm Thomas M. Stokes - Nelson on Apr 25, 2009, 10:25 PM
- Biographical bits on Asiatic Flt C.O.s - Don Kehn, Jr. on Apr 26, 2009, 8:12 PM
- USN flag officers: Part II. Admirals Wiley, Binford, Talbot, and Parker - Nelson on Apr 29, 2009, 1:13 AM
- combat medal rule - Robert Bergstrom on Apr 29, 2009, 2:07 AM
- Edward Nelson Parker - Jim Broshot on Apr 29, 2009, 3:27 AM
- Re: DesRon 29 Officers - Mark E. Horan on Apr 29, 2009, 4:18 AM
- Putting a face to DesRon 29 officers - Don Kehn Jr on Apr 29, 2009, 5:38 PM
- Re: Puttling a face to... - Nelson on Apr 29, 2009, 8:02 PM
- Re: Graduation years - Mark E. Horan on Apr 30, 2009, 3:03 AM
- A matter of rank - Nelson on Apr 29, 2009, 6:49 PM
- ooops - Nelson on Apr 29, 2009, 8:36 PM
- Re: Graduation; - Mark E. Horan on Apr 30, 2009, 3:22 AM
- Re: Graduation - Nelson on Apr 30, 2009, 4:35 AM
- officer's date of commission = Pay Entry Base Date? - Nelson on May 5, 2009, 8:19 AM
- a last thought - Nelson on May 5, 2009, 4:09 PM
- Wiley Was From Missouri - Jim Broshot on May 5, 2009, 8:30 PM
- Re: Wiley was from Missouri - Nelson on May 5, 2009, 11:08 PM