Return to Index  

Relief , a question, and more

April 23 2009 at 5:56 AM
No score for this post
Don Kehn, Jr.  (no login)

Response to Re: Relief

Mark,

Very interesting! If you don't mind my asking, what basis do you have for assuming John Nelson Hughes was going to be given a destroyer BEFORE the war? I am just curious about this because--as you well know--Joshua James Nix (USNA 30) got command of EDSALL in mid-OCT 1941 as a LT, and this was, by common consent, "quite a break for Mr. Nix."

In the midst of so much good, clean print and the nice, firm numbers, there are always those who enjoy tossing a little smoke-grenade of delicious apocrypha...In that vein: there is anecdotal evidence--unsubstantiated but there nonetheless--that LT CDR E. Mason Crouch was not a happy (or altogether healthy) camper when he left EDSALL. Far from it. We have wondered whether this played some part in Nix's appointment. (At least one very peculiar account of the changeover in command reached me during my research, but I discounted it as too outlandish.)

{There were also those who did not take kindly to Crouch's decision to clear the area after WHIPPLE returned to p/u the survivors of PECOS, but that may be another matter.}

CDR Eccles strongly urged his superiors to utilize surplus Asiatic Fleet officers who had survived the campaign--and who he felt were extremely capable-- as a nucleus for new crews & ships. It doesn't strike me as an unsound suggestion...although Wiley(?) didn't take kindly to some of Eccles' sharp comments.

Don

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement