Return to Index  

Re post-NEI careers of officers

April 24 2009 at 8:03 PM
No score for this post
Don Kehn Jr  (no login)

Response to Re: Cmdr. Stokes NOT KIA

Hi all,

I think something is being overlooked here that may be pertinent: the Asiatic Fleet ceased to exist organizationally around February 14; Destroyer Divisions 57/58/59 and DesRon 29 may have still existed temporarily on paper, but I am not sure there was still a Desdiv 57/58/59 functioning once they got to Australia. I may be wrong about this, but I do know March 1942 was a period of fairly significant changes in the USN command structure.

Talbot may have had health issues, or maybe not. I suspect these men were given some R&R time after what they had been through. And our destroyers were not about to become involved in offensive operations at that moment.
On the other hand, CDR E. Paul Abernathy of PECOS was on a transport going home almost immediately, however, since his AR was written aboard one (perhaps MT VERNON)--this around 7 March or so, IIRC.

Just a few thoughts on a subject I agree is worthwhile. And it would be just as valuable & interesting to know what befell RNN and RN commanders in their immediate post-NEI careers.

Don

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement