Return to Index  

Re: Puttling a face to...

April 29 2009 at 8:02 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Putting a face to DesRon 29 officers

Don,

< Midshipman photos of Talbot & Parker are in Dan Mullin's ANOTHER SIX HUNDRED, for those curious about them, and both of their Academy years noted as well. >>

I would be interested in what Mullin indicates as Paul Talbot's year of graduation from the USNA, with conventional wisdom being 1918, but Mark declaring his academy graduation was delayed one year by WWI to 1919. I wonder if, however, the Academy Class years remained unchanged (i.e., as originally scheduled), in spite of when graduation actually took place postwar. There is universal agreement that Edward Parker graduated in 1925.

Equally as interesting, two sources have declared that Paul Talbot retired in 1950, but a lengthy sequence of Navy Registers claim his retirement as March 1948. By the by, do you think my theory holds any water (or sounds familiar from other instances), that Talbot's promotion to captain, made June 17, 1942, was delayed in implementation so to avoid the skipper and exec of WEST POINT (AP 23) both bearing the rank of captain? One assumes that Talbot was thereupon removed from WEST POINT as soon as conveniently possible, as Captain Frank Kelley remained on her for another year and Cdr. M.J. Malanaphy is shown as XO on the Christmas 1942 menu.

If you want to post those midshipmen photos, it would be fun seeing them, but of course it's up to you.

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: Graduation years - Mark E. Horan on Apr 30, 2009, 3:03 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement