Return to Index  

Re: Graduation

April 30 2009 at 4:35 AM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Re: Graduation;

Mark,

< The classes in the Academy at the time all graduated early. IIRC, the class of 1917 in January, the class of 1917 [methinks that should be class of 1918, yes?] in mid 1917, the class of 1919 in early 1918, and the class of 1920 later that year. >>

Yes, that I completely understood, but what I thought you were saying is that, just as at West Point, the Annapolis grads were brought back after the war's end to complete their educations and thus graduated late. Something tells me now that these young naval officers were NOT returned to the USNA, as their counterparts were at the USMA--i.e., the naval academy did NOT have its own version of the orioles, is that so?

Do you have any opinion on the reality that (i) Cdr. Paul Talbot joined USS WEST POINT (AP 23) as XO on May 30, 1942; (2) his official date of promotion to the rank of captain is given as June 17, 1942; and (3) he was still aboard her on July 4, 1942, and still indicated as a commander? Is it possible from standard practice that his promotion to captain was not implemented until he was ordered to a new assignment, no longer aboard WEST POINT? I think that promotions were something that the recipients were made aware of pretty darned quick, thus my belief that his promotion, even though effected in mid-June, awaited his departure from the ship (Capt. Frank Kelley was her captain from June 1941 to May 1943, and Cdr. M.J. Malanaphy was XO at year's end in 1942). There is a photo showing both men in their blues, with Kelley having four stripes, and Talbot having three stripes (UNdated, dang it!). If I am correct, his promotion was delayed so the two ranking officers aboard this vessel were not both captains. Yes, I'm aware that there might be other officers aboard a warship with the same sleeve rank as the exec, but I think not the same as the captain. Comment?

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2018 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement