Re: M. S. BloemfonteinJune 1 2009 at 12:22 PM
No score for this post
|Jan Visser (Login Visje1981)|
Response to M. S. Bloemfontein
The "Bloemfontein" was originally built for the Holland - Africa Line of the VNS. In September, 1939, the VNS decided to redeploy her and the "Klipfontein", "Jagersfontein" and "Boschfontein" in the Java - Pacific Line (eastbound from the East Indies to America's West Coast). This line was operated by the Rotterdamsche Lloyd and the Stoomvaart Maatschappij "Nederland", which chartered the VNS ships. The decision to redeploy these valuable ships was in part caused by the increased risk to shipping due to mines, submarines, aircraft etc. in European waters.
After May, 1940 (when Germany conquered the Netherlands), Bloemfontein continued to be deployed in the Java - Pacific Line. She was part of the first Dutch convoy, when she and the ships "Marnix van St. Aldegonde", "Zaandam", "Mapia" and "Polyphemus" were escorted by the Dutch cruiser Hr.Ms. "Tromp" from a position west of Api Island to a positions five days beyond the Gilbert Islands. This voyage started January 1, 1941.
Bloemfontein continued to sail in this line until the outbreak of the Pacific War. She was converted to a troop transport in San Francisco and made her first voyage as such on April 13, 1942. She was deployed by the US War Shipping Administration.
There is scant mention of her in secondary sources, so she appears to have had an uneventful career.
M. S. Bloemfontein - Jacques on Jun 6, 2009, 9:18 AM
- exciting career of JAGERSFONTEIN - Nelson on Jun 6, 2009, 12:51 PM
- status of MS JAGERSFONTEIN - Kit on Jun 7, 2009, 8:48 AM
- Adriaan August Bischoff - Dion Bischoff on Jun 23, 2009, 3:45 AM
- Dutch gun crews - Nelson on Jun 23, 2009, 5:45 AM
- Jagersfontein and her Dutch gun crew. - Jacques on Jun 25, 2009, 9:17 AM
- U.S. Naval Armed Guard and U.S. Army gun crews - Nelson on Jun 25, 2009, 4:07 PM
- USMM Distinguished Service Medal recipients - Kit on Jun 26, 2009, 4:45 AM
- Re: USMM Distinguished Service Medal recipients - Nelson on Jun 26, 2009, 5:22 AM
- Second wave - John Nobel on Jan 23, 2015, 10:31 PM
- Re: second wave - Nelson on Jan 24, 2015, 7:22 AM
- JAGERSFONTEIN - no umlaut - Jacques on Feb 4, 2015, 6:06 PM
- Re: JAGERSFONTEIN - no umlaut - Nelson on Feb 5, 2015, 3:41 AM
- It's just me! - Jacques on Jun 7, 2009, 1:02 PM