Return to Index  

M. S. Bloemfontein

June 6 2009 at 9:18 AM
No score for this post
Jacques  (no login)

Response to Re: M. S. Bloemfontein

Thanks Jan,
I certainly have a lot of information now but I will always be hungry for more. First of all I have to congratulate your countrymen on the historic win over England last night.(Cricket is not the focus of this Forum, I know but I had to get it in!)
I've somehow missed out on the earlier discussion on the topic of the Bloemfontein (November 2008)and I do feel a bit of an idiot! I suppose one has to check the new postings and responses every day or you will lose out. The information thrown about in this Forum is substantial but I am concerned that the value might be lost unless you come up with a way of indexing it all. Fairly often threads are abandoned without all avenues explored and questions answered. Does this make sense or is it just me?

Back to the boring ol' Bloemfontein. One might describe her career as uneventful (as you did) because she saw out the war without any incident (that we know of) and reverted back to her trade for another 15 years before being scrapped in 1959.

What I find remarkable is the distance she covered throughout the Pacific during the war, visiting almost every area of conflict and yet coming out unscathed. The Bloemfontein (along with her master, officers and crew) were typical of many Koopvaardij vessels during WW2 which performed reliably and delivered what was required of them - with little or no recognition?
Regards,
Jacques

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• exciting career of JAGERSFONTEIN - Nelson on Jun 6, 2009, 12:51 PM
  •  
  • It's just me! - Jacques on Jun 7, 2009, 1:02 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement