Re: Escort Carrier off SamarOctober 13 2009 at 2:58 AM
No score for this post
|Jim Broshot (Login JimBroshot)|
Response to Escort Carrier off Samar
"I've seen this specific picture before in more than one publication on the Pacific War and in this case the caption reads: "During the Battle of Samar in October 1944 escort carriers of the US Seventh Fleet found themselves under fire from Japanese battleships and cruisers. This carrier has been nearly straddled by a salvo of heavy projectiles.""
Just as a matter of curiosity what is the name of the publication?
The same photo appears at page 82 of William Y'Blood's THE LITTLE GIANTS U.S. ESCORT CARRIERS AGAINST JAPAN, with the caption: "Bombs explode near the MANILA BAY on 23 June 1944 as she prepares to launch the P-47s of the 73rd Fighter Squadron for Saipan. (National Archives)"
To amplify on Nelson's posting, in support of the invasion of Saipan, two escort carriers (MANILA BAY and NATOMA BAY) carried 73 P-47s of the USAAF's 318th Fighter Group. Delayed by the Battle of the Philippine Sea, they began launching these aircraft on 22 June 1944.
Earlier USS NASSAU in December 1943 had carried USAAF P-39s (37) and A-24s (13) to Makin where they had been launched to land on the island.
For Operation TORCH, USS CHENANGO had carried 78 P-40Fs of the 33rd Fighter Group and launched to them to land at airfields ashore.
These were one way operations, the USAAF planes could be launched (using the carrier's catapults) but they could not land back on the carriers.
Re Escort Carriers etc - John Wilson on Oct 13, 2009, 6:54 AM
- CVE catapults - Nelson on Oct 13, 2009, 2:30 PM
- Catapults - R Leonard on Oct 14, 2009, 2:15 AM
- Re: Catapults - Jim Broshot on Oct 14, 2009, 6:25 AM
- hangar deck catapults - Nelson on Oct 15, 2009, 4:23 PM
- SOC's on board carriers - Jacques on Oct 15, 2009, 7:48 PM
- Catapults on batleships/submarines - John Wilson on Oct 16, 2009, 2:57 PM
- catapults - Jerry Mason on May 3, 2017, 9:26 PM
- H Mk VIII catapult - Jim Broshot on May 5, 2017, 4:17 AM
- Catapult-launched P-61s - Jacques on May 8, 2017, 8:41 PM
- Re: CVE catapults - Nelson on Oct 16, 2009, 1:14 AM
- Re: CVE catapults - Jim Broshot on Oct 16, 2009, 5:19 AM
- CVE 1's diagonal flight deck catapult - Nelson on Oct 16, 2009, 7:08 AM
- Re: CVE 1's diagonal flight deck catapult - Jim Broshot on Oct 16, 2009, 3:39 PM
- You can see the photographs here - Jim Broshot on Oct 16, 2009, 3:53 PM
- Re: CVE 1's diagonal flight deck catapult - Nelson on Oct 16, 2009, 4:10 PM
- Re: CVE 1's diagonal flight deck catapult - Jim Broshot on Oct 16, 2009, 7:16 PM
- CVE 1 photos respecified (attn: J. Broshot) - Nelson on Oct 16, 2009, 9:43 PM
- diagonal catapult - Jim Broshot on Oct 17, 2009, 12:30 AM
- one flight deck modification IS clear - Nelson on Oct 17, 2009, 3:39 AM
- measurements made on portside flight deck - Nelson on Oct 17, 2009, 3:24 PM
- Army P-47's at Saipan - Gerry Norvell on Mar 17, 2015, 11:14 PM
- Re: Army P-47's at Saipan - Jacques on Oct 19, 2016, 8:51 PM
Re: Escort Carrier off Samar - Jacques on Oct 13, 2009, 5:22 PM