Return to Index  

CVE 1's diagonal flight deck catapult

October 16 2009 at 7:08 AM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Re: CVE catapults

< This [shorter flight deck] configuration was unsuccessful, and in Sep 1941 the flight deck was extended forward another 77 feet over the pilot house. The catapult was relocated to the portside of the flight deck parallel to the centerline. >

Two important caveats:

1. The flight deck extension was authorized on September 15, 1941, but when precisely that lengthening was implemented is not specified in anything I have yet found.

2. The relocation of the catapult parallel to the ship's centerline was NOT concomitant with the lengthening of the flight deck. The photo below (again from NavSource), clearly showing the now longer flight deck but still diagonal catapult, was shot on June 2, 1942 (the aircraft on deck are Grumman F4F-4 Wildcats and Curtiss SOC-3A Seagulls). Fifteen days later, Image No. 80-G-14548, displayed in my previous posting, was made of the F4F-4s queued up to be catapulted off. I daresay these close dates cannot both be wrong, particulary given the undisputed coexistence of the 77-foot longer flight deck AND the still operational diagonally configured catapult.

Nelson

[linked image]

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: CVE 1's diagonal flight deck catapult - Jim Broshot on Oct 16, 2009, 3:39 PM
  •  
  • You can see the photographs here - Jim Broshot on Oct 16, 2009, 3:53 PM
  •  
  • Re: CVE 1's diagonal flight deck catapult - Nelson on Oct 16, 2009, 4:10 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement