Return to Index  

Re: CVE 1's diagonal flight deck catapult

October 16 2009 at 4:10 PM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to CVE 1's diagonal flight deck catapult

Here be two more photos from NavSource. The first was taken on July 8, 1941, showing LONG ISLAND with her original 362-foot flight deck. I cannot see any evidence of a flight deck catapult, diagonally configured or otherwise (the aircraft forward are two Brewster F2A Buffalos). Yes, 'tis possible I simply cannot see the catapult, but tell me what you think.

[linked image]

The other photo, taken in May 1942, AFTER the flight deck was lengthened 77 feet, shows a line of five Curtiss SOC-3A Seagulls awaiting launching, with the first one angled to portside on the catapult. There is a sixth Seagull also spotted starboard, but forward of the diagonal catapult.

[linked image]

Is it eminently possible that the diagonal catapult was first installed with the 77-foot lengthening of the flight deck, and only later was it relocated parallel to the ship's centerline, as Jim reports from Friedman?

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: CVE 1's diagonal flight deck catapult - Jim Broshot on Oct 16, 2009, 7:16 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement