Return to Index  

Re: Kamer 14

November 6 2009 at 7:23 PM
No score for this post
Jan Visser  (Login Visje1981)
Moderators

Response to Kamer 14

Hi Hans,

I checked the book "Nishi No Kaze, Hare" by Robert D. Haslach, published in 1985. Unfortunately, the book does not have an index of persons, but there is an interesting biline in the credits:

"Mevrouw Henning-Versnel, weduwe van wijlen majoor J.W. Henning, KNIL".

I flipped through the book and found:

on page 89:
"In 1935, the navy put lieutenant Schalkwijk at the disposal of Room 14, wheras the KNIL followed suit shortly after by detaching lieutenant J.W. Henning. The thirty-one year old Henning had previosly followed the special course in cryptography in The Hague together with Schalkwijk. And when Henning arrived in the Indies in June 1935, he was immediately placed in Section VIIA of the General Staff. Henning and his wife, both born in the East Indies, soon felt at home in Bandoeng".

on page 132:
"Captain J.W. Henning of Room 14" was transferred back to the troops in june 1938

I might have missed passages along the way. If you don't have the book by Haslach already, and ifyou can read Dutch, you can often find this book cheap online.

Another interesting book is "Leven en werken van Henri Koot (1883-1959)" by G.J. van Ojen jr. Published by Sectie Krijgsgeschiedenis Koninklijke Landmacht in The Hague in 1978. It describes the life of Henri Koot, the founder of cryptoanalysis in the Netherlands armed forces.

Regards,
Jan

This message has been edited by Visje1981 on Nov 6, 2009 7:28 PM

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Knil kr 14 - Robert haslach on Feb 8, 2013, 7:01 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement