Return to Index  

Re: Dutch perception of Admiral Helfrich

May 31 2010 at 5:57 AM
No score for this post
Nelson  (no login)

Response to Dutch Perception Of Admiral Helfrich

Tom,

I think yours is a very good question. I note that you use Gen. Douglas MacArthur as a figure of comparison, but I suggest that is not apt. Yes, Mac was viewed, likely correctly, as imperious, aloof, divisive, very difficult (when he wanted to be), self-centered, self-indulgent (and I could go on...and on), but NOT as an ineffective or incompetent general. Keeping his annoying vanity and personal flaws as distinctly separate entities, MacArthur's generalship was held in esteem. I don't think that's where you're starting with Admiral C.E.L. Helfrich, i.e., the very question you ask cannot assume a widespread esteem with his leadership abilities. Equally, it cannot assume a lack of such esteem. Whether he enjoyed general esteem on the part of the Dutch public is what you're endeavoring to answer.

Nelson

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: Dutch perception of Admiral Helfrich - Jim Broshot on May 31, 2010, 7:42 AM
  •  
  • Helfrich Vs. MacArthur - Tom Womack on Jun 2, 2010, 3:06 AM
  •  
  • MacArthur Reputation - Felix on Jul 28, 2010, 4:02 AM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement