Return to Index  

Re: Dutch perception of Admiral Helfrich

June 1 2010 at 4:02 AM
No score for this post
Kit  (no login)

Response to Rear Admiral Helfrich

Melmoth,

You wrote:

"While not everyone thinks MacArthur was THAT successful as a military leader..."

For the mo' I'd like to keep my opinion of Douglas MacArthur Down Under, so to speak, but I do think that whether we're piling onto MacArthur or Conrad Helfrich, some standards or guidelines of success ought to be offered up for comparison. Please identify a military or naval officer of close to MacArthur's rank and position who was THAT successful and stipulate why, so we can readily grasp whether indeed MacArthur, or for that matter Helfrich, fails to make the grade and why not. Which is to say if those critics are correct and Mac wasn't all that hot in his job, IMO his performance needs to be held up to comparison with someone's that was rather more exemplary.

Arie,

Thanks for de Jong's thumbnail profile of Admiral Helfrich, but I think the question posed by Tom Womack inquires of the opinion of Helfrich by the Dutch people as a whole, or at least by those familiar with the history of WW2 and the NEI's role in it.

Best regards,

Kit

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement