Return to Index  

Re: "Java Sea Environment"

June 23 2010 at 5:02 AM
No score for this post
KevinD  (no login)

Response to "Java Sea Environment"

######No worries, I am not easily offended. I could go on about my navigating experience, crisscrossing the Java Sea in a variety of vessels but in less than 0.10 seconds Google came up with about 99 500 results for "java sea depth". See:

Hi Jacques,

First, an apology on my poor wording in my post.

What I meant to infer (and thought I did with my last sentence) was "how is that figure (i.e. 46m) arrived at"? (i.e. Is it simply the average depth between the shallowest and deepest depth accounted for in a particular survey - in the case of 46m it being the average between 0 and 92m - or using the actual area covered by various depths, etc.) I did not not mean to imply simply where I could find 46m written on-line somewhere.

But it seems that is explained, if not in the first link you posted, in the doc you linked entitled 'Java Sea Environment' - or at least for the area they use (although they give 40m, not 46m, average). Thanks for that link which I have just downloaded and printed out.

However, on that note, with a quick scan of that doc it appears that the eastern edge/boundary of the Java Sea is somewhat arbitrarily defined (see page 5), and hence that then can lead to a different mean depth - depending on what/how much area is taken into account that is. When I said I felt that 46m was 'not accurate' (nor 40m for that matter) I was taking a larger eastern area into account, but they do not take that (larger) area into account in their paper, although stating that it is possible to do so (again, page 5).

Anyway I will sit down and have a good read of that paper tonight as it looks quite interesting to me.

Again, thanks for that link.

Regards,
Kevin

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement