Return to Index  

Re: MS Boschfontein

October 27 2010 at 5:27 AM
No score for this post
Bob1942  (Login Bob1942)

Response to MS Boschfontein

The Ship Movement Report Cards as they are called are in the NARA's Record Group 38, part of the Tenth Fleet WWII collection. Also included in this collection are the Naval Armed Guard Reports for U.S. Flag merchant and U.S.A.T. Transports and Convoy records. I was told by an NARA Archivist that the NARA has no Deck Logs or War Diaries for U.S.A.T. ships (they were all destroyed). The Ship Movement Report Cards are made of a heavy stock colored paper, about 12" X 6" and are written mostly in pencil(!). They include U.S. and Allied ships, U.S.A.T ships and a few U.S. Navy auxilaries (APs,AKs and AOs). I brought my camera in hopes to save time by taking photos of the many cards I wanted to copy but it would have been almost impossible to read them afterwards, some were extremely hard to read as it was just holding them in my hands. I had to copy them by hand, not fun. To get a good idea what they look like, the Australian Govenment website has some of their Ship Movement Cards online (including Boschfontein) at:

h--p://www.navy.gov.au/Publication:WWII_Merchant_Ship_Movement_Records_-_Australia

I have the movements of USAT Frederick Funston to Guadalcanal between January 1, 1943 - January 13th, what ships she was with in that time period if you are interested.

Regards,
Bob1942

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Funston-Boschfontein-Tilinta(Spelling is off) - Bob Burns on Oct 29, 2010, 1:51 AM
  •  
  • MS Boschfontein - John Deknatel on Feb 9, 2011, 3:28 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement