Return to Index  

Truth

November 21 2010 at 1:13 AM
Dave W  (no login)

Response to The Strange Tale of Broome and Lamade's SOC: Searching for the TRUTH

Well stated, Nelson, though in Edmonds' defense when he said the SOC was "shot down," it was forced down and whatever source he used might have considered forced down the same thing. Still no excuse, really.

The stadium gaffe was my over-eagerness at finding a cool piece of trivia. A good reminder to myself to check things before I type. Howard J and Jack must have been related, as both were from Williamsport and Lamade isn't exactly the most common name.

I hope the new Broome book is worthwhile, but I've read it claims the B-24A that was shot down into Roebuck Bay in turn downed WO Kudo's Zero with its tail guns, which seems odd. As far as I can tell, none of the three Ferry Command B-24As operating in Australia at the time had any armament. Then again, most sources still say 33 servicemen were lost in this crash, which is not supported by any contemporary documentation and appears to be a unknowing repetition from some early secondary source (probably Edmonds). But's that is acan of worms for a different fishing trip...

Please don't interpret this as a dismissal on my part of Lewis and Ingman's work; just interested to see what evidence they offer to support their claim about the downing of Kudo. It certainly sounds more beleivable than someone managing to hit a fast moving fighter aircraft with a machine gun balanced on their forearm. Not dismissing Winckel's feat--just doubt that anyone could hit anything firing like that, except by pure luck.

Best regards,

Dave W

Respond to this message   
Responses