Return to Index  

Sell-out fears by the Americans

December 16 2010 at 5:17 AM
Melmoth the Wandering Researcher  (no login)

Response to Secret Japanese Overture(s) To NEI Government

Hello,

I have just come across a fascinating & obscure reference in a document (never published, to my knowledge) by a surviving US destroyer commander in which he states that between 22 February, after STEWART was wrecked, & the final Striking Force sortie into the Java Sea (of 26/27 February), a US staff officer from Bandoeng visited him in Soerabaja aboard his DD and informed him--in confidence--that there was a "staff opinion" that the "Japanese were trying to negotiate a separate peace with the Dutch and that we should be alerted for a 'sell-out' of our forces..."
He went on to remark that he didn't believe it at the time, "but it did not add to my peace of mind and confidence."

What this "staff opinion" was based upon is a mystery to me, but this at the very least does again smack of attempts by the Japanese to drive a wedge between the Allied forces...as some have suggested in this thread previously. And it also highlights the suspicions and fears that must have been prevlent throughout all of the ABDA forces at the time...as defeat loomed ever-closer and with greater inevitability.

FWIW,

MthW

Respond to this message   
Responses