Return to Index  

another perception

December 16 2010 at 10:49 AM
No score for this post
Peter Boer  (Login petercboer)

Response to Re: Another perception

I was speaking of the period from 23 February until 1 March 1942 when ABDA-FLOAT was dissolved. From 23 February the ABDA structure came entirely in Dutch hands with Ter Poorten becoming "CinC ABDA Area", Helfrich remained in charge of ABDAFOAT and Van Oyen became CG JAC. The GG inherited the position of Wavell but delegated immediately all military operational matters to Ter Poorten, who became the superior of Helfrich in all mil. op. matters (concerning the ABDA Area) from that moment. Within the ABDA Area command structure Helfrich was on the same command level as Van Oyen was, so his bluntness to Van Oyen was not justified (Ter Poorten spoke to Helfrich about this).
I have explained the structure in my book Het verlies van Java (page 1-11); in the English translation, The loss of Java, which has just been printed and will be available from early Jan 2011, it is on page xxii-xxiii. I understand that it is little known that the ABDA structure lived on after Wavel. All best,
Peter

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
 Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement