Return to Index  

I Missed This

January 11 2011 at 7:06 AM
Tom  (Login TomWomack)

Response to Not So Secret Dutch response

Good catch Don. I have Hart's memoirs as well and either totally missed this reference...or it was so vague at the time that I didn't pay any attention to it. I agree that one has to read between the lines, so to speak, of the Governor-General's comment. Without knowing the context or any of the background behind that particular comment, it is easy to dismiss it at first glance. When I first read Hart's memoirs last year I had not yet learned of this scenario.

I don't know the exact date of Hart's arrival on Java (and quite frankly am too lazy to look it up at the moment), but I believe was late December. That would have coincided with the timing of the British report from Anthony Eden (see earlier comment in this string). The GG's comment would seem to indicate that word of Eden's meeting with the Dutch representative in London had already reached the NEI government and that they were expecting a formal peace proposal from the Japanese through diplomatic channels as the Dutch envoy in Tokyo demanded.

Regards...
Tom

Respond to this message   
Responses