Return to Index  

What "How...employed against 'enemy batteries'?" means

August 13 2011 at 6:59 PM
No score for this post
Gordon  (Login GGTJr)

Response to Re: Commendation for Btry F, 244th REGT, Coast Artillery

I seek possible amplification of a story told to me by a veteran (now deceased) of F Btry, 244th CA:

START of Story: The 244th was still aboard their ship while Marines assaulted a Guadalcanal beach; the Marine assault was halted by fire from Japanese with large guns in caves overlooking the beach - the Marines had no weapon to effectively attack the cave guns. The 244th was ordered to the beach, ahead of Marines, and used their 155mm CA howitzers in direct fire mode to defeat the Japanese weapons in the caves and enable the beach assault to proceed. END

The veteran was very proud of his unit "clearing the way for the Marines."

I am just starting to understand the 244th CA unit history (and greatly appreciate the information provided by Alice W).

I wonder:
(1) if anyone can amplify on this story,
(2) if such 155mm direct fire was an technique which the CA trained for, or if it was ingenuity and innovation in response to the enemy, and
(3) if the direct fire by the CA - ahead of Marines in the beach assault - was part of the operation to secure airfield, for which official documents commend the CA unit.

Scoring disabled. You must be logged in to score posts.Respond to this message   
Responses

• Re: What "How...employed against 'enemy batteries'?" means - Jim Broshot on Aug 14, 2011, 5:12 AM
  •  
  • Additional remarks - Alice W. on Aug 14, 2011, 3:15 PM
  •  
  • Thank you for substantive information - Gordon on Aug 14, 2011, 4:49 PM
  •  
    Find more forums on Network54Create your own forum at Network54
     Copyright © 1999-2017 Network54. All rights reserved.   Terms of Use   Privacy Statement