Return to Index  

Re: Numerical accounting of 5-inch AA shells

October 27 2011 at 5:43 PM
Melmoth the Wanderer (DMKjr)  (no login)

Response to Numerical accounting of 5-inch AA shells

Guys,

Bear in mind neither Quinn Madson nor Walter Winslow were in Divisions 4 or 5 (CA30's AA divs; 6 was her 1.1"), but an officer who was, and who was universally considered one of the ship's "outstanding" men, indicated another figure taken on at Tjilatjap...

Since there are other accounts that exist and which I have that state different numbers, unless or until primary source docs are found, this is all speculative.
I will merely note that I suspect repeat SUSPECT that CA30 over-stocked her 5" capacity after the fiasco on 4 Feb. Ships other than BOISE of course supplied some 5" to the ABDA units in this campaign.

I do have exact figures for her 5" when she went into the Batjvzee, and can say with some assurance she did NOT repeat NOT begin her last fight with a shortage of 5"---You may be confusing this w/her very real shortage of MB shells (8") that night. I have figures on the 8" as well, and they were indeed "grim"... However, as you all understand the ranges they engaged at made the use of 5" applicable throughout the battle.
It should also be understood that there was a good deal of ordnance stacked in non-standard areas of the ship as she went into Sunda Strait.

MthW/Dmkjr

Respond to this message   
Responses