Re: Numerical accounting of 5-inch AA shellsOctober 27 2011 at 5:43 PM
No score for this post
|Melmoth the Wanderer (DMKjr) (no login)|
from IP address 126.96.36.199
Response to Numerical accounting of 5-inch AA shells
Bear in mind neither Quinn Madson nor Walter Winslow were in Divisions 4 or 5 (CA30's AA divs; 6 was her 1.1"), but an officer who was, and who was universally considered one of the ship's "outstanding" men, indicated another figure taken on at Tjilatjap...
Since there are other accounts that exist and which I have that state different numbers, unless or until primary source docs are found, this is all speculative.
I will merely note that I suspect repeat SUSPECT that CA30 over-stocked her 5" capacity after the fiasco on 4 Feb. Ships other than BOISE of course supplied some 5" to the ABDA units in this campaign.
I do have exact figures for her 5" when she went into the Batjvzee, and can say with some assurance she did NOT repeat NOT begin her last fight with a shortage of 5"---You may be confusing this w/her very real shortage of MB shells (8") that night. I have figures on the 8" as well, and they were indeed "grim"... However, as you all understand the ranges they engaged at made the use of 5" applicable throughout the battle.
It should also be understood that there was a good deal of ordnance stacked in non-standard areas of the ship as she went into Sunda Strait.
- Re: Numerical accounting of 5-inch AA shells - Nelson on Oct 28, 2011, 5:05 PM
- Re: Numerical accounting of 5-inch AA shells - Nelson on Oct 28, 2011, 5:41 PM
- What was CA-30's five-inch allotment, BTW? (-:) - Melmoth the Worn Out (dmkjr) on Oct 29, 2011, 6:05 AM
- Re: What was CA-30's five-inch allotment, BTW? - Nelson on Oct 29, 2011, 7:42 AM
- What was CA-30's five-inch allotment, BTW? (-:) - Keith Allen on Nov 12, 2011, 11:30 PM
- What was CA-30's five-inch allotment, BTW? (-:) - Keith Allen on Nov 13, 2011, 12:01 AM
- 5-inch ammunition aboard HOUSTON - Nelson on Nov 13, 2011, 7:40 AM
- Re: 5-inch ammunition aboard HOUSTON - Nelson on Nov 17, 2011, 6:36 PM
- forgot OTUS (AS 20) - Nelson on Nov 19, 2011, 1:12 PM
- Maybe it's not the choices that are slim? rocky research... - Melmoth the Wriddler (DK) on Nov 20, 2011, 12:42 AM
- The Houston's 5-inch ammo supply - Jack Furth on Dec 4, 2011, 5:21 PM
- Still Wrong. Let me try to help one last time - Don Kehn, Jr. on Dec 5, 2011, 3:42 AM
- Re: Still Wrong - Jack Furth on Dec 5, 2011, 3:54 PM
- I give up...but, good luck with your research - Melmoth (Dmkjr) on Dec 5, 2011, 5:03 PM
- Re: I give up.... - Jack Furth on Dec 5, 2011, 6:10 PM
- CA-30 5-inch Ammo Allowance - Keith Allen on Nov 19, 2011, 6:23 PM
- I almost forgot CDR Maher's Action Report - Melmoth the Generous Wanderer (DMKjr) on Nov 1, 2011, 4:36 AM