SS President Grant-Circa 1942January 22 2012 at 10:33 PM
No score for this post
|Bob Burns (no login)|
from IP address 184.108.40.206
Response to Re: SS President Grant-Circa 1942
Warren and Nelson- Thank you. I am still looking for details of convoy F.P.1 daily movements (Boschfontein, Tabinta, Pres. Grant, HMNZS Leander) War Diarys or deck logs, although as Nelson may agree these docs were destroyed by the military in the 50s for chartered merchant ships-Armed Guard ships (USAT's). I did acquire the U.S.S. Lamson War Diary for November 1942 which confirms her meeting up with the convoy on Nov. 5, a day prior to the convoys arrival Noumea, New Caledonia as anti-submarine escort.
I did acquire a copy of an Armed Guard Report, Fourteenth Naval District, Pearl Harbour, reporting on the SS President Grant movement Noumea, New Caledonia to Honolulu, T.H. (Nov. 9 to Nov. 28, 1942), dated Nov. 23, 1942 and signed by Lt. Harold H. Abrams (I believe he was a junior officer of the ship). It does contain a list of 22 Armed Guard personnel, by name aboard.
I also have a similar report copy describing the SS Tabinta and SS President Grant, movement, dated October 23, 1942. Excerpts from report-Underway from SF at 1500 hours October 1, 1942 with five other vessels and light cruiser as escort-This vessel carried the Commodore-Boschfontein broke down returned to port-convoy turned back to meet Boschfontein - Oct. 3 with the Boschfontein resume course to designation- Oct. 15 escort relieved by New Zealand cruiser (maybe HMNZS Leander?)-Oct. 22 moored at pier Auckland, New Zealand.
Unfortunately for me these documents cover the period before and after convoy F.P.1 took aboard the 214th CA (AA) and landed them on Noumea, NC.
- SS President Grant-Circa 1942 - Nelson on Jan 23, 2012, 7:28 PM
- SS President Grant-Circa 1942 - Bob Burns on Jan 24, 2012, 8:02 PM
- Re: SS President Grant-Circa 1942 - Nelson on Jan 24, 2012, 10:48 PM
- ... yet another PRESIDENT GRANT! - Jacques on Jan 25, 2012, 10:44 AM
- SS President Grant-Circa 1942 - Bob Burns on Jan 25, 2012, 7:19 PM
- Great thread; informative, useful & very funny, too! N/T - Melmoth the Wanderer (dmk) on Jan 25, 2012, 9:54 PM
- SS President Grant-Circa 1942 - Keith Allen on Jan 26, 2012, 2:47 AM
- Pacific Convoys 1942-4 - Jacques on Jan 26, 2012, 11:14 AM
- President Grant 1942 - David on Mar 14, 2013, 1:23 AM
- one question answered (in part) - Nelson on Jan 28, 2012, 8:08 PM